Any new grad EM programs in WA?

Has anyone heard of any hospital programs/teaching hospitals in the Washington/Oregon area that hire and train new grads in emergency medicine? I am not referring to the PAEA official residencies. I'm currently on the east coast where I have come in to contact with a couple of hospital systems that do this for specifically new PAs/NPs, however I would ultimately like to move back to WA after school. 

Thanks!

The East coast tends to be far more friendly to new grad PAs wanting to move into EM than the west coast. most new grad em pa positions are dead end urgent care or fast track with zero training unfortunately. I'm sure there are some great entry level jobs out there on the west coast, I just have not seen any in 21 years practicing em in CA, WA, and OR. I basically had to create my own training program by working my way up the ladder from urgent care to fast track to community hospital to trauma center to rural to solo rural, switching jobs every few years whenever I maxed out autonomy and scope of practice. As a new grad in 2017 wanting to go into em, you owe it to yourself to do an em residency.

I started out in EM for my first job and work only in the main ED. I was hired by the group that I had one of my EM rotations with. It's not in my ideal location but I'm getting a couple years of experience in so that I can eventually move to where I want to live and still work in EM. I don't think urgent care is the worst way to get experience, though. A lot of EM job postings say "at least 1-2 years experience in EM, UC or family med", or something similar to that. There are a lot of EM jobs for PAs that are fast track and very similar to urgent care, which makes urgent care experience valuable. I've found that urgent care companies are able to cover things like moving expenses and offer sign on bonuses and sometimes pay better than smaller EM provider groups. I have a couple friends who are very happy with their urgent care jobs. I think you just have to weigh your options and see what you're willing to compromise on. I didn't want to do anything other than EM, so I chose to compromise on my location for a while. I also didn't want to do a residency because I needed to get out and start earning money to pay loans, have a family, etc. I guess my point is that if you really want to, you can get an EM job as a new grad but you can also get an urgent care job without getting "stuck".  

Archived