Just how difficult would it be to get into Cardiology or Cardiothoracic surgery as a PA

I came out of school and immediately went into cardiology; some classmates went into CT surgery.

If there is a job and they want you, you're in. It helps to do optional rotations in areas you are interested. These days, especially in CT surgery, perhaps consider an internship.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Assuming you can't get a job directly out of school (do pertinent rotations and act like every rotation is a job interview, providers talk), then you need to do everything you can to get pertinent experience.  If your goal is cardiology, then you probably shouldn't go into orthopedics - but the surgical experience may be somewhat helpful for CT surgery.

I think to have your mind made up about what area of medicine you work in before even starting PA school might be premature.  Don't pigeon hole yourself before giving other areas thought and seeing how rotations go. 

My program and the programs PA colleagues I have worked with went to offer surgical rotations.  I wouldn't expect a lot of programs to have an established cardiothoracic rotation. Admittedly I haven't done any research into it though.  My program did allow you to find rotation sites for yourself and submit them for approval but not all programs allow input from the student on rotation sites.  I'd make sure to ask at interviews for programs about rotations, if they have established rotations in specialties you are interested in, and if not, is there the option to find a rotation site on your own. 

Archived