mic87

Can you work as a student on rotations while you wait for your license?

It's so frustrating to tell potential future employers that you may need to wait up to 5 months until gov Chris Christy gets off his bloated behind as the licensing process in NJ is slowww! Can you take a history, do the physical, write the note without signing it or making any orders in the interim? These are the same things that we do as students during clinical year. I went on the NJ state site, http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/pa/Pages/regulations.aspx, but it says nothing about it. I have some friends of mine whom were scribes before school and will be paid as scribes and will learn the software until they receive the license in the mail. 

1. Does anyone know if this is an ideal option?

2. What kind of ways have you had your future employer utilize you until you are credentialed? 

in NJ, you can't work without a license, especially in hospital. It can take a long time to get licensed in NJ especially if you are not a new grad. As a new grad, my licensing process took less than a month after graduation (could have taken less but I delayed paying the licensing fee by more than a week). 

1. As a new grad, you could get temp license until your result for the PANCE become available, the license is expired once you get the result. One other caveat is that you can't get credentialed with a temp license either. 

2. Credentialing can take a long time, even longer in NJ because you'll need your license (4-12 weeks), CDS (3-4 wks) and DEA (1 weeks). You need your CDS to apply for the DEA. You can call DEA one week after you submit the online application to fax you the DEA number (waiting for it in NJ takes forever) 

There is nothing you can do to expedite the process in NJ in the state level but you can start the credentialing process without none of the document listed above. 

I was lucky enough that my credentialing took about 2 months, really lucky. 

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Nikawl
      Hi! When inputing licenses into CASPA, it asks for the "issue date". I was wondering if I should put the date I first received the certification, or the date that I renewed my certification. I became a CNA in Oct. 2016, however I renewed my license in May of 2017, so technically the new issue date would be May I think.
      Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

• By pajourney
      I have written a blog post that may be of use to you. It describes, in detail, the steps I took to get credentialed/ready to work after graduating from PA school.
      Steps to Take After Graduating from PA School
    • By AlteredBeast
      Home health gig combination of primary care visits, wellness visits, palliative care.
      must see 120 patients per month but no minimum  required working days/ week
      Seeing minimum of 6 patients per day ( based on m-f schedule, 20 days/ month)  pay is 95K - This seems really low to me, but can work as much as one wants I suppose and make near 200K so I'm told.
      on call once per month Friday- Monday, phone call only- This seems terrible to me. Probably a lot of med refills, random complaints, weekend basically gone.
      benefits.
      malpractice.
      6 patients doesn't sound like a lot, but considering transit time, charting, etc. I'm thinking it would probably take a full 8+ hour work day making the base pay not really worth it.
      What does everyone think?
    • By LaurelAllison
      Hi everyone, 
      I have begun the process of getting licensed in Texas. All of my documentation has been submitted and I received notice that I will be assigned an analyst but that this could take several weeks. I have read some of the older topics on this but I was wondering if anyone that has gone through the new licensure process more recently could tell me how long this whole ordeal might take. On the older threads people have been saying the TPAB only meets 4 times a year but I am seeing a schedule that looks like they meet every month. Is this something that changed in 2017? I had a pretty promising interview last Friday and I am starting to stress that my license won't be complete for several months. What does this mean if they make me an offer? 
      Also, if you applied for a temporary license how long did that take to process? How does the Texas PA Board expect us to start paying off our loans?! Feeling frustrated...  
    • By rosiepoo_unowho
      I've been accepted to a school that is ranked 70th in the nation. This certainly isn't a top ranked school, but it's a good program (continuing accreditation, 97% PANCE pass rate, etc). How much importance is placed on the rank of your PA program in the hiring process, post-graduation? 
      Thanks for your input!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More