Advice in pursuing Pa

Hello pre-pa, pa students, and pa gradates,

I honestly don't know how to start this, but I will get straight to the point. Here is a little about my background.

I graduated with honors from high school, first semester of college was okay, I was still learning about how to choose classes and professors as well as how to study. I finished my 1st semester with a 3.2. Second semester I started "pledging" mistake, but I quit and finished my second semester with a 3.0. I decided to take summer classes, two at a time, (big mistake) failed both classes with E's. Long story short Fall of 2011-2012 (4 semesters) I struggled, was on academic probation, etc.. I was going out of my mind. Summer of 2013 I traveled, came back fall of 2013-2016 I maintained 3.0+. But the damage was already done and I just wanted to get out, move on, and have a fresh start. So,

Overall Gpa - 2.45

sGpa - no idea I have to retake science classes

Now, in Michigan there are a few college's that will allow you to use the last 60 credits of undergrad as well as post-bac to be calculated for the use of admissions to the pa program.

My last 60 credits - 2.9 gpa

My plan is to take random classes at a community college in order to manipulate my gpa and get at least a 3.8+ as well as take all the pre-req classes and then the gre.

I am highly motivated and determined to achieve my dream and goals to attend pa school. I don't care if it takes me another three years, I am determined to do it.

How should I plan out my classes? What should I do? Also, I need a minimum of 500-1000 hours of direct patient care (depending on which school) what should I do to achieve those hours? (I used to be a CNA out of high school but my certification expired in 2011) Also, I need better study habits, I'm horrible with multiple-choice exams, what can I do stay focused on the task at hand? I have a beautiful 4 month old daughter and she is my motivator towards achieving this goal of mine. Any advice would help please, I would love to hear success stories in which people that were once in my shoes make it to pa school.

Take 8 to 10 unit classes like a second language or an 8 unit combined in one semester anatomy and physiology class and ace it to bring up your gpa instantaneously and a bunch of easy classes. Caspa calculates your gpa 30 different ways, non science overall gpa, biology physics chemistry, freshmen Junior etc post bach, undergraduate Science etc so it'll work in your favor to increase these categories as much as possible.

Another option is to do an accelerated bsn so that in 15 months you'll have a bsn  and graduate with healthcare training that'll be considered great direct patient care hours with decision making, earn a lot of money to take care of your 4 year old then apply to a np or pa program to see which one accepts you first while you wait. There was a nurse that got accepted in my interview group that went this route 

Perhaps consider getting your RN (which takes 2 years instead of 4) that you can then use to work a couple of years with. This way you'll show you not only are serious about the GPA deal, but also are knocking 2 birds with 1 stone and can use your new certification to work in the healthcare field.

You could even tag on some sort of associate's degree with the RN (if possible) to also further raise your GPA and show another interest you're passionate in and have shown you can succeed. I would stray away from just taking *easy* "random classes" because it just would be extremely obvious you're doing it just for the GPA and aren't showing you can really tackle the hard classes you'll have to face in PA school.

Best of luck.

My advice would be to get another degree that is useful in gaining paid direct patient care experience. That can be done by pursuing an associates/bachelors degree in; nursing (RN), radiology science (xray tech, ct tech, mri tech), respiratory therapy (RRT), or any other allied health professional credential. This will allow you to be more competitive in regards to patient care experience and it offers a well paying career to pay your bills. That said, you should always aim to exceed the minimum because programs tend to work from the top up then work their way down on the list (from most qualified to least qualified). 

In regards to GPA, it's probably going to take more than 4 years to bring that cGPA and sGPA up if you follow the above advice. Also, no one sucks at multiple choice questions, you just need to improve your study habits and test taking abilities. PA school is nothing but multiple choice and the brutal PANCE (and PANRE) are all multiple choice. 

I applied during the 2016-2017 cycle to 9 programs with a 3.54 cGPA 3.53 sGPA and 2000+ PCE, interviewed at 2, denied by all 9. I personally thought I was rejected from those 2 programs due to my interview skills but I interviewed at an accelerated BSN program a few month later (same group format, similar questions, and similar competitiveness) and I was accepted 4 days later. I had to fight myself to not say the wrong thing (ie: answering why do you want to be a nurse while hearing the question as why do you want to be a PA). This made me reflect and came to the conclusion that even though I prepared well for the PA interviews the field is so ****ing hard to get into haha. I winged my nursing interview yet I was accepted. 

My point is, if you want it hard enough you will make it happen. Just plan out the next few years as fixing your GPA and to kill two birds with one stone, get an AS or another BS that can lead to employment in the field and gain high quality patient care experience for a few years before attempting to apply for admissions to PA school. 

Good to hear of another parent of a tiny one going back for the PA track! I don't have too much advice for you--just wanted to say I can relate. I have a 7-month-old son who is also my inspiration. It'll be tough with a young child, but it's possible. (I'm choosing to believe that.) :)

Also, as far as experience goes, I'm getting my EMT-B certification this fall, then in the spring semester going back to school full-time for pre-reqs at a community college. (I am already a Licensed Vet Tech, but only a couple of schools accept that as PCE, so I am also attempting to get a job as a Medical Assistant and then, once certified, an EMT.)

I agree with Diggy about trying to get a certificate/associate's/bachelor's degree in something that you can use as PCE. In many of those cases, you'll be able to take those pre-reqs you need, as well.

Archived