Aloha!  The path to becoming a PA is a little more challenging on such a small island :)  If anyone can point me in the right direction of finding PA shadowing opportunities, volunteering opportunities, or ways to gain more HCE, I would so appreciate it!

Heads up:  I think HAPA Hawaii is not currently running.  I have contacted 3 people within the organization, without reply, and I just received an email that the email address for their general questions account isn't functional.  I'll keep looking around for opportunities and update this if I find any!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Gabriela1
      I am working as an MA for a PA currently. Occasionally, I do watch procedures she does, and basically 'shadow' her during my job. Could these times count towards shadowing hours for PA school? Thanks!
    • By Emw2153
      Hello, 
       So I need some advice. My top school is Cuny Sophie Davis but I cant decide if I should be a teaching assistant for chemistry this fall or should i try to volunteer/network at Harlem hospital for the 2 months before I submit my application end of October or should I try to do both??? Is volunteering for 2 months even worth it?
      For some context this fall I will be taking 3 classes, working one day a week from 9a-7p as a medical assistant in the same primary care office I have been working in for the past 1.5 years and now possibly either being a TA or volunteering in a hospital. 
      Would either of these choices beef up my chances/ make me stand out? Will being a chemistry TA not help that much and just be a waste of my time?
      Should I just continue with my current volunteer position (read below)?
      I only have the pre reqs to apply to 2 schools this fall so anything to help would be VERY APPRECIATED. I need help on focusing my time in the crunch hours. 
      Currently I have about 18 hours of volunteering at a speech pathology center leading a reading group for people with speech aphasia, helping them build their confidence and as a mode of therapy. 
      My Stats
      GPA 3.42 undergrad  BA in psychology at a well known woman’s college-ivy leage
      Post bacc GPA (11 classes and all the science prerequisites) - 4.00
      2500 hours as medical assistant in a multispecialty primary care
      30 hours shadowing an ortho PA, Derm PA, and urgent care PA
      Had a full time job for 3 years in business before deciding to become a PA
      presidential scholar at CUNY

• By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By mjenni96
      I am entering my senior year as a Biology major and looking to apply for PA school during the next cycle. I have been having a hard time finding PA's to shadow and am posting here in the hopes of finding somebody. I am able to commute anywhere around the Denver or Boulder area. I work as a CNA, volunteer in an ED and am active in a genetics research lab. I have nearly all of my pre-reqs for PA school but am wanting to shadow a PA before applying during the next cycle. I know that shadowing would be an extremely valuable experience and therefore appreciate any direction on where to look! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More