KBAB

Volunteer Hours and Type of Experience

For applicants with many hours of volunteer experience(500+, even in the thousands...) what types of experience do you have and how many years did it take to gain that many hours?

My first 10 years in EMS was with an all-volunteer fire department. Some months, I put in over 100 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a long time volunteer (4 years) of a medical org and sit on their planning board for regional fundraising events

On 7/22/2017 at 10:08 AM, KBAB said:

For applicants with many hours of volunteer experience(500+, even in the thousands...) what types of experience do you have and how many years did it take to gain that many hours?

Volunteered in many capacities at my church throughout high school and college. Board member for an organization that advocated for low-wage workers in the service industry. Program coordinator for an international development agency (similar to Peace Corps) in Jordan, Lebanon and Syria. 10,000+ hours total.

4 hours ago, ryebread203 said:

Volunteered in many capacities at my church throughout high school and college. Board member for an organization that advocated for low-wage workers in the service industry. Program coordinator for an international development agency (similar to Peace Corps) in Jordan, Lebanon and Syria. 10,000+ hours total.

wow! hope you are planning on pursuing an MPH or DrPH/DHSc/DMSc in addition to your PA school training. we need more folks like you in the trenches representing the PA profession!

6 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

wow! hope you are planning on pursuing an MPH or DrPH/DHSc/DMSc in addition to your PA school training. we need more folks like you in the trenches representing the PA profession!

EMEDPA, no plans for a DHSc at the moment. Still very interested in international medical service, though. Before PA school I directed a plastic and reconstructive surgery program for Syrian refugees in Jordan and Turkey. Currently an honorary member of the Syrian American Medical Society. At this point one quarter into my program, I am still trying to decide between surgical subspecialty and emergency medicine.

I saw that awhile back you were volunteering with NYC Medics in Mosul. How did that experience work out?

I had a few thousand volunteer hours as well. I did meals on wheels, taught CPR, big brothers big sisters, was the Board President & Treasure for my kids non profit preschool (I have 4 kids and its my 5th year), I am on the PTA board for their elementary school, a La Leche League leader for years... Im considering leading a girl scout troup for my 3rd kiddo this year, and Im the team manager for my kids hockey team.   None of those are really healthcare (except LLL) , but all community volunteerism! 

I volunteered for nearly 2 years as a case manager at a health clinic (8-10hrs per week). A majority of the work was helping low-income members of my community access health and social services, but I also made long-term connections with several of my clients and would often just be someone there to support them. I have since moved from that area and now assist the elderly at their doctors appointments by helping them express their health goals and understand their doctor's instructions (medication changes, referrals, etc).

Look for opportunities online and get involved in something even if it is just once a month!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Emw2153
      Hello, 
       So I need some advice. My top school is Cuny Sophie Davis but I cant decide if I should be a teaching assistant for chemistry this fall or should i try to volunteer/network at Harlem hospital for the 2 months before I submit my application end of October or should I try to do both??? Is volunteering for 2 months even worth it?
      For some context this fall I will be taking 3 classes, working one day a week from 9a-7p as a medical assistant in the same primary care office I have been working in for the past 1.5 years and now possibly either being a TA or volunteering in a hospital. 
      Would either of these choices beef up my chances/ make me stand out? Will being a chemistry TA not help that much and just be a waste of my time?
      Should I just continue with my current volunteer position (read below)?
      I only have the pre reqs to apply to 2 schools this fall so anything to help would be VERY APPRECIATED. I need help on focusing my time in the crunch hours. 
      Currently I have about 18 hours of volunteering at a speech pathology center leading a reading group for people with speech aphasia, helping them build their confidence and as a mode of therapy. 
      My Stats
      GPA 3.42 undergrad  BA in psychology at a well known woman’s college-ivy leage
      Post bacc GPA (11 classes and all the science prerequisites) - 4.00
      2500 hours as medical assistant in a multispecialty primary care
      30 hours shadowing an ortho PA, Derm PA, and urgent care PA
      Had a full time job for 3 years in business before deciding to become a PA
      presidential scholar at CUNY

• By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By Emileenwood
      I have a quick question as CASPA approaches, I volunteered sporadically at big organizations throughout my undergrad so I was never given an actual supervisor for this volunteer experiences. What should I put down for CASPA then? Like for instance, I volunteered with my friends every December with Operation Christmas Child where we would just sign up online for a time slot and show up and volunteer. I do not have a supervisor name though so I am unsure how to report this...
    • By Brandon2397
      Hello everyone, I am currently in my third year as a biology undergraduate major at the City College of New York. I graduate next year and wanted to ask for opinions on whether or not I should apply to PA programs immediately after graduation. 
      At the moment I have a 3.91 GPA, straight As in my science courses, have shadowed one PA for a few hours, and have over 200 hours volunteering at an ENT hospital. However, my plan after graduation is to work as an EMT to gain credible health care experience to put on my application.
      In your opinions, are my current credentials sufficient enough for PA programs to consider me as a serious candidate? Or should I take a gap year to focus on obtaining more experience to put on my application? If so, any advice or recommendations? Any responses are much appreciated. Thanks! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More