Volunteer Hours and Type of Experience

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2017 at 10:08 AM, KBAB said:

For applicants with many hours of volunteer experience(500+, even in the thousands...) what types of experience do you have and how many years did it take to gain that many hours?

Volunteered in many capacities at my church throughout high school and college. Board member for an organization that advocated for low-wage workers in the service industry. Program coordinator for an international development agency (similar to Peace Corps) in Jordan, Lebanon and Syria. 10,000+ hours total.

4 hours ago, ryebread203 said:

Volunteered in many capacities at my church throughout high school and college. Board member for an organization that advocated for low-wage workers in the service industry. Program coordinator for an international development agency (similar to Peace Corps) in Jordan, Lebanon and Syria. 10,000+ hours total.

wow! hope you are planning on pursuing an MPH or DrPH/DHSc/DMSc in addition to your PA school training. we need more folks like you in the trenches representing the PA profession!

6 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

wow! hope you are planning on pursuing an MPH or DrPH/DHSc/DMSc in addition to your PA school training. we need more folks like you in the trenches representing the PA profession!

EMEDPA, no plans for a DHSc at the moment. Still very interested in international medical service, though. Before PA school I directed a plastic and reconstructive surgery program for Syrian refugees in Jordan and Turkey. Currently an honorary member of the Syrian American Medical Society. At this point one quarter into my program, I am still trying to decide between surgical subspecialty and emergency medicine.

I saw that awhile back you were volunteering with NYC Medics in Mosul. How did that experience work out?

I had a few thousand volunteer hours as well. I did meals on wheels, taught CPR, big brothers big sisters, was the Board President & Treasure for my kids non profit preschool (I have 4 kids and its my 5th year), I am on the PTA board for their elementary school, a La Leche League leader for years... Im considering leading a girl scout troup for my 3rd kiddo this year, and Im the team manager for my kids hockey team.   None of those are really healthcare (except LLL) , but all community volunteerism! 

I volunteered for nearly 2 years as a case manager at a health clinic (8-10hrs per week). A majority of the work was helping low-income members of my community access health and social services, but I also made long-term connections with several of my clients and would often just be someone there to support them. I have since moved from that area and now assist the elderly at their doctors appointments by helping them express their health goals and understand their doctor's instructions (medication changes, referrals, etc).

Look for opportunities online and get involved in something even if it is just once a month!

Archived