Wingate University Main Campus 2017-2018

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/27/2017 at 9:58 AM, Madhatter said:

@pipergasaway Here’s what happened to me. They sent me an email last year saying they would like to invite me for an interview, but I didn’t have biochem completed.  I also took my statistics class over ten years ago, so if I wanted to attend there after the interview process, I’d have to retake it so it was within 10 years. I finished biochem and retook stats and was invited to interview.  They don’t really flex when it comes to having the correct prerequisites. Since anatomy lab is a prerequisite, they won’t be able to interview you.  Just my opinion though, good luck!

I received an email last week about being invited to interview even though I haven't finished genetics yet. I was told that they don't have any open interview spots for the remainder of 2017 but that they will start to fill interview slots for January and February within the next few weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, TheLastStone said:

Oh, I haven't yet applied. This is just one of my prospective programs and I was curious what the most recent class' stats were. I'll check out that website, regardless. Thanks

i had roughly a 3.4 overall, 3.1 science but my last 60 credits were a 3.95 or so. the one on one interview was very tough.

2 minutes ago, TheLastStone said:

Really? I feel more comfortable one on one for some reason. What kind of HCE or research and EC's did you have? Congrats on getting in, btw!

I was a CNA for about a year and half so about 2200-2400 hours. No research. Some volunteering with disabled children here and there. Also was a TA for a psych course. I didn't really have anything that stood out, but I expressed how much I would love to continue living in Charlotte so they knew I would accept right away if I got an offer.

Just now, ilygurlie said:

I was a CNA for about a year and half so about 2200-2400 hours. No research. Some volunteering with disabled children here and there. Also was a TA for a psych course. I didn't really have anything that stood out, but I expressed how much I would love to continue living in Charlotte so they knew I would accept right away if I got an offer.

That's good to hear! I have my EMT cert and I've been thinking of getting my CNA so I can go into an ER tech position. I was also offered a position to be an SI instructor for a chemistry course at my university, so it's cool I can add that. And I would absolutely love to stay in Charlotte. I hope you like the program! I'll be around 30 when I apply so it may be a little different for me.. not sure. 

2 minutes ago, TheLastStone said:

That's good to hear! I have my EMT cert and I've been thinking of getting my CNA so I can go into an ER tech position. I was also offered a position to be an SI instructor for a chemistry course at my university, so it's cool I can add that. And I would absolutely love to stay in Charlotte. I hope you like the program! I'll be around 30 when I apply so it may be a little different for me.. not sure. 

Thanks! They seem to look at applications very holistically so as long as you seem well rounded, they'll show some interest in your application. The building was the nicest out of the all the programs I interviewed at and the students all seemed very happy. Good luck to you!

That's awesome to hear! It's not far from me, so I plan on making my presence known so come applying time they'll recognize my face and/or name. Thank you! Happy Holidays!

I heard from multiple people that developing a relationship with Ms. Irving was instrumental in their getting accepted. Even though I ultimately declined attending the interview, I would echo that sentiment. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, needmorecoffee said:

I heard from multiple people that developing a relationship with Ms. Irving was instrumental in their getting accepted. Even though I ultimately declined attending the interview, I would echo that sentiment. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be putting that in my arsenal. Thank you very much! 

On 11/24/2017 at 3:43 PM, TheLastStone said:

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted! I was curious if y'all could post stats so I know kind of the consensus with what to expect to "shoot for". I say that last part very loosely, but it's nice to know where everyone is at for future applicants. Thanks!

BA in Chemistry, Undergrad GPA 3.43, Post Bacc 4.0 (A&P 1 and 2, genetics, and med term all taken over one summer), sGPA 3.33, cGPA 3.49

2500 hours ED scribe (worked with PAs the whole time pretty much), 840 hours UC scribe, 200 hours as an office assistant in a surgical office, other misc jobs in the chemistry department and math tutoring

GRE: 160 quant, 155 verbal, 3.5 writing

LOR: ED physician, two ED PAs, chemistry and research prof, and chemistry lab supervisor I worked for

BLS, NREMT-basic, and phlebotomy certs (just got my CNA but I submitted prior)

Few hours shadowing a hospitalist PA and a chiropractor

I did a bunch of chemistry research in college and had some leadership stuff in club sports. No volunteer hours.

This was my second year applying to PA programs, first time applying to Wingate. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've lived around the area for a while. Matthews is much nicer and modern area than Monroe but a bit farther out there - around a 30 minute drive. Indian Trail is also very nice but also a 30 minute drive. Monroe is really rural, has more crime, and places are generally more run down but overall cheaper and require less commuting (20 minutes). You can also live in Charlotte which is a huge city with lots to do but will probably be a 45 minute commute and tons of traffic. A 2 bedroom goes for around 1500 in Charlotte.

I think there were some apartments right next to Wingate but they were quite expensive and kinda run down. I've talked to current students, and a lot of them commute from Charlotte (which is a bit too far for me personally) or the Matthews area. Some students even commute like an hour each way :/ Some of them are in apartments, rent a townhome/home, or have bought homes in the area (generally students who have kids and such). Some of them live alone and can justify the cost of that while most students I know have a roommate who is also in the PA or Pharmacy program.

Thanks for the info. Perfect world I can find a place within walking distance of Levine HS, at least for the first year. Perhaps people around the area may rent out their houses? Is there a platform where people of the incoming class become connected? I am trying to eliminate any commute, even if that means having to live in some decrepit home.

5 hours ago, Kato602 said:

Thanks for the info. Perfect world I can find a place within walking distance of Levine HS, at least for the first year. Perhaps people around the area may rent out their houses? Is there a platform where people of the incoming class become connected? I am trying to eliminate any commute, even if that means having to live in some decrepit home.

I think there are some grad school apartments next to the school, but kinda overpriced and dingy lol. But at least you don't have to commute. I just checked apartment finder and there doesn't seem to be any rooms available in the grad school apts though. You can also look on zillow/craigslist to see if someone is willing to rent their home? I toured around next to Wingate and didn't see much though. I don't think there is an accepted Facebook page for the main campus. 

On 2/4/2018 at 3:16 PM, ilygurlie said:

I think there are some grad school apartments next to the school, but kinda overpriced and dingy lol. But at least you don't have to commute. I just checked apartment finder and there doesn't seem to be any rooms available in the grad school apts though. You can also look on zillow/craigslist to see if someone is willing to rent their home? I toured around next to Wingate and didn't see much though. I don't think there is an accepted Facebook page for the main campus. 

Someone should create a facebook page and ask Marie Irving to send it out to the currently accepted students! 

Archived