National Guard service during PA school

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the Florida Air Guard as a medic with a separation date coming up in June 2018. I am submitting on CASPA in a couple of weeks and am hoping for the best. I've noticed that many programs start in the summer, which coincides with my separation date.

My question is, would it be advisable to separate from the ANG if I were lucky enough to get picked up for PA School or is it feasible to balance the two? I would loathe a break in service but I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

I was active duty for 13 years, with a total of 14 years of service if that helps influence an opinion.

Thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate any input!

I was a California Army Guard through PA school.  I did 4 years active and 7 yrs guard.  I was with the same unit and they liked me.  Everyone was super supportive of me being a PA from the command down.  I stayed in the guard through my whole schooling.  Sadly I got out for my first job as I read in between the lines of not getting hired if I stayed in the guard.   Ironically it was a retired 20 year air force doc who did the interview.  So I got out.......

Back on topic, my unit made accommodations for me for AT and drill.  I was in aviation so I would go do night flights week days and broke up AT over the summer.  I think it is possible if your unit supports you, if they don't then you might consider getting out.  I got $3K a semester in scholarships for being in the guard from the CA guard. 

Archived