Hello all,

I noticed a discussion thread has not yet been started for this year's application cycle. I recently received an email from admissions letting me know that my application has been received and is under review. Where is everyone else in the application process? Any little drops of wisdom on how the Stanford admissions process typically goes, or the merits/drawbacks of their curriculum and program?

Thanks, and good luck

I received this email 7-13-17

Dear Applicant, 

Your application for the Stanford School of Medicine, MS in PA Studies has been received. We are presently in the process of reviewing each application. Due to the high level of interest in our program, we will not be able to give personal feedback to every applicant. 

Thank you again for your interest in our program.

Fred M. Tovar, M.Ed.

Senior Admissions Officer

open?upn=Ik-2BF20z8oZKS77SkrxiHdvyVjmDpq

15 hours ago, marissaleigh27 said:

Does anyone know if there is a Supplemental Application this year?

I appreciate the help!

I believe the only supplemental part of the application was on CASPA. There were a few questions about where you see yourself practicing in the future and things like that. Other than that I don't think there was anything separate from CASPA that you had to fill out. Correct me if I am wrong! 

On 7/20/2017 at 11:48 PM, Pez said:

I received this email 7-13-17

Dear Applicant, 

Your application for the Stanford School of Medicine, MS in PA Studies has been received. We are presently in the process of reviewing each application. Due to the high level of interest in our program, we will not be able to give personal feedback to every applicant. 

Thank you again for your interest in our program.

Fred M. Tovar, M.Ed.

Senior Admissions Officer

open?upn=Ik-2BF20z8oZKS77SkrxiHdvyVjmDpq

When did you submit you app through CASPA? I submitted July 14th, and have not gotten a confirmation email. I'm thinking of maybe calling on Monday about it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By zgotham1
      Hello All, 

I hope you are doing well. I was just curious if anyone has run into the same issue with shadowing that i am in currently. So, unfortunately I dont have the connections to other PAs like some people do, so this leads to having to go above and beyond to try to find PAs to shadow. I finally found one that is willing to take me on that doesn't currently have PA students with them (I go to Gannon University and I live close to Mercyhurst University, which both have PA programs), however, they want me to pay $50 per shadowing visit. I have never heard of anything like this before. Is this normal to pay $50/per shadow experience? Or is this just a UPMC thing. Is it worth it? Or should i keep trying to find other facilities that dont require such. 

- Zach 
    • By NickFala
      Hello all, I've been wandering around this website for quite some time reading peoples' posts and finally decided to try and make my own and have some people who have similar stats as me shed some light.
      I graduated from the University of Central Florida in August 2018 and I'm retaking A&P 1 & 2 since my university only offered Anatomy and Physiology as separate courses. I did unfortunately get C's in both Anatomy and Physio, however retaking A&P 1 and 2, I received an A in A&P 1 and will most likely receive an A in A&P 2.

My cumulative GPA averaged out to about a 3.2 and sGPA of about 3.0-3.1 somewhere in that general area. I got a 297 on the GRE, with my writing section being in about the 95th percentile (not sure if that really matters or not). I also do have a LOR from my A&P professor, I have around 50+ shadowing hours, shadowing a transplant surgeon and psychiatrist. I also currently have been working as a scribe in the Emergency department with not only physicians but PA's as well. I have been a scribe for about 2 years so I'd say more than 1,000 hours and I've contacted some schools who consider it has PCE hours, with that being said I've definitely learned a LOT being a scribe and being exposed to everything and anything in the ER. I also have a letter recommendation who is a PA-C and he's also a faculty member for a universitys PA program as well. So I was wondering, will my GPA ruin my chances of getting in PA school? I really didn't wanna have to take a bunch of science classes if I didn't need to but I've been unfortunately comparing myself to a lot of applicants and I feel like the short end of the stick. Thanks to everyone and anyone who responds, all criticism is welcome. Just please try not to be too rude :)
    • By samweres
      Hi everyone. I am planning on applying for my second time this upcoming April 2019. This past cycle i decided to apply in June 2018 and didn’t get my apps in until late July. I just applied to two programs that i already qualified for. I think my main error last cycle was applying so late and to so few schools.  I should’ve just waited until this cycle, but it is okay because now i am more prepared and have a bulkier application. If anyone could give me advice on areas to improve on that’d be great! 
      Bachelors in Respiratory Care (2017)
      cGPA: 3.4 (Caspa 2018 calculation)
      sGpa:3.4 (Casap 2018 calculation)
      Since last cycle i have taken or i plan to have completed before this cycle: Bio 2(A),Chem 2(A), Genetics (A), Orgo I (TBD, estimating a B+ to be on the safe side), Stat (TBD, est A). This should bring my GPA up to at least a 3.5 - 3.6ish?
      3,300 hrs PCE as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (full time current career)
      100 hrs volunteer/HCE medical mission trip to Peru.
      25 volunteer hours from various events in college
      500 hrs leadership experience for running student run organization in college(dance team)
      4 years of being on college dance team.
      700 hrs non HCE work as nanny of 3 children including one autistic child
      24 hrs PA shadowing (cardiac surgery, critical care/pulmonary, plastic surgery)
      GRE: scheduled for March 30 (have started studying, hoping for a 300)
      LOR: 1 PA I shadowed, 1 from my Respiratory Care Manager, and one from my Resporatory peogram director/professor(?). I can probably do another PA if that would look better, but I know some schools require a professor  
      Any criticism would be helpful! My goal is to apply before May 15th this cycle to about 7 schools! Thanks in advance everyone!

• By rtPA20
      Hey everyone,

I'm really excited for this upcoming application cycle. In terms of candidacy, can you give me some input in to whether my background as a respiratory therapist would be of benefit? From an academic standpoint, I'm finishing a master's in respiratory therapy for completion of last few outstanding prereqs for CASPA, and the sheer knowledge I've gotten in cardiopulmonary medicine. GPA is solid 3.6 and I've got specialty credentials as well as over 5,000 hours of patient care experience. My hope when I get accepted into PA school is to become a primary care and/or pulmonary PA afterwards. 

Thanks so much!
    • By zgotham1
      Hello All, 
      This is my first post in this forum and im really pumped! I'm currently a junior right now and will hopefully be applying to PA schools here in the coming future. 
      I was wondering if I could get some insights from the people who are ahead of me in the process with how applying goes, and if i have a shot at some higher tier schools. 

So far my cumulative GPA is a 3.77, with a science GPA of about 3.65ish. 
      Courses I've taken (Sport and Exercise Science Major/Pre-PA track) are as follows: 
      Molecular and Cellular Bio: B+  Gen Chem I and II w/ Labs: B, B+, A-, A-  Bio II: A+, A Animal Physiology w/lab : A-, A- Trigonometry: A Psych Stats: A  **Currently in ** Human Gross Anatomy w/ Cadaver Based lab (Hardest course at my university taught by two former MDs, one being from Yale): B+ (Hopefully) and A  Organic Chemistry I and II (w/ Ochem 1 Lab): A+, A+, B+ (Do not plan on taking Ochem II lab) Nutrition: A+  Research Methods: A-  Intro Psych, Psych of Human Development and Abnormal Psych: all A+'s  Currently I still plan to take Biochem, Genetics and Microbiology  along with some other sport and exercise science fluff courses. (Biomechanics, Clinical ex. physio, exercise physio, motor learning and development etc.)

I will be planning to do research this coming spring semester with my advisor will hopefully be presenting it at the ACSM National Conference in Harrisburg, PA.  Im apart of my schools Honor's Program as well as the national honors society Phi Eta Sigma. I will also planing to be joining the National Honors Society of Biology: Beta Beta Beta. Also, outside of honors programs im apart of the Delta Kappa Epslion Fraternity. (So if any brothers are reading this hello!) 

However, i believe my biggest flaw in my application will be my HCE. So far i really dont have any HCE hours besides a couple hours of shadowing and what not. Will this hinder me greatly in applying to PA schools? I plan on taking a CNA course in the summer and hopefully will get a job as a PT tech at a local Sport PT place here in town. 
      I have a list of schools that i would like to apply to and then i have some of the other schools i consider top tier (Pitt, Penn State, Yale, PCOMM, Cornell etc.) 
      Also, do you have any tips on how to study for GRE's? Or did you just go in there and wing it? 
      How do my chances look? 

- Thank you, Z. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More