GRE Dilemma

So I just took my GRE and did not get a very desirable grade. 145 on both qual & verbal. I don't have my writing score yet. I can take it again in 21 days but that is going into 4 weeks before the September 1st deadline. I would hate for this test to hold me back from getting into a PA program. I would also hate to miss the deadline and have no chance of getting in anywhere. Should I submit my application now and retake it as soon as I can and them submit my CASPA application?

You are at 290 total; general rule of thumb is to try for 300, and more importantly, be at least at the 50%ile in each area, if possible.

I know nothing about the rest of you: major, grades, HCE, PORs, essay,etc. If they are within normal range, I'd probably apply now anyway and also consider retaking the GRE. If you do better the second time around, you can have the new grades sent to the schools you have applied to.

If you already have a masters, don't sweat it; you've demonstrated you can handle graduate work by definition.

Before you reapply for the GRE, you should probably analyze why you did what you did in the exam and how you will do it differently. The math part has a nice online review book at the GRE site you can print and go through to brush up. Verbal is more the words you know and staying cool under pressure to read and understand.

Good luck!

If you definitely want to apply this year then either focus on programs that do not require/emphasize the GRE or retake to get a more competitive score. Unfortunately with such little time it will take a lot of dedication to improve your score drastically. How did you study for the test? Did you take any practice tests beforehand? Magoosh (I swear I have no affiliation to them, I just use their study guide and love it) has a 1 week and 1 month study plan that you could check out.

Your score is more useful in %tile form, since it varies test to test. A 145 could be anything from a 45% to a 48% or something of that nature.

What's important is, trying to be at or above 50% in both sections (who cares about writing tbh). Your scores are lower BUT I believe you are close enough that you could still be competitive. Lastly of course, some schools require no GRE so you could target some of those instead.

Archived