drpa123

Navy HPSP PA / Air Force HPSP PA award winners

If you are either a Navy PA HPSP award winner or a Air Force PA HPSP award winner could you please share some of your experiences on your 3 year active duty requirement after graduating PA school. Please answer some of the questions below or if you want to just share your experience that would be much appreciated. Thank You :) 

1.) After graduating PA school how fast did you get deployed?

2) How SAFE are the clinics or stations where you were deployed to?

3) Have you ever experienced a combat situation? 

4) Do you have any choice as to where you get stationed?

5) How many hours do you typically work each week?

6) What are some of the benefits? 

7)How much autonomy do you have? 

8) Overall what is the pros and cons of your job?

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't reply to this thread, but I see that its been nearly two months with no reply, so I'll give it my best shot! I am not an award winner for this scholarship. That being said, I have been in the Army for 5 years as a combat medic. I've spent extensive time with military PA's and I think I can answer a few of your questions until a Navy PA can! 

*Again, I can only speak for the Army, but I do know that Navy PA's can be attached to Marine units (thats what I plan to do after PA school if I get this scholarship)

1) That depends on the unit that you go to. There are many different types of units in the Navy. You could get attached to a fleet marine force, though thats unlikely right out of school without prior experience in emergency military medicine. You may get attached to a unit on a ship or sub and be deployed within a year of graduating school. It depends on when you get sent officer candidate school (OCS or whatever its called for the Navy). 

2) This, again, depends on the unit you go to. Just because you join the Navy doesn't mean that you are always on a boat on the ocean (or sub in the ocean). You may get attached to a marine unit and get deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan. The bases over there are not "safe", but they are as safe as they can be. There are intermittent mortar/artillery rounds that are fired at random, but not ALL the time. There are vehicle born improvised explosive devices (VBIED's) that are sometimes detonated near the gates. Being in country in general is dangerous, and its dangerous when you go outside the wire. 

3) I haven't heard of any PA's going outside the wire on patrol or on mission, but that doesn't mean that a firefight is impossible. If you convoy anywhere, there is always a possibility of getting into a firefight, or being hit by an IED or VBIED. If you are a PA in country, you WILL have a weapon. Most likely a M9 that you carry and an M4 that you'll keep locked up and rarely ever touch unless you go outside the wire. 

4) This is possible, yes.

5) Depends on the unit and if you are training or deployed. In a clinic, you'll work 8-4ish with a lunch break. If you are with the fleet marines, there is no telling. 

6) Several!

- You serve your country

- BAH (Basic allowance for housing) depends on your rank and is a stipend for housing. 1-5k ish a month on top of your base pay

- Healthcare for you and your family

- Several others

7) The military PA's i've worked under are extremely autonomous. I can only speak for my experience as a combat medic in the army working in an infantry unit and having a PA attached to our headquarters company. 

8) Not a PA (yet), so I can't speak for that!

I wish you the best of luck! Please message me personally if you have any other questions! I haven't proof read this, so please excuse any grammatical errors. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By EMT2PAC
      Hello,
      I am a currently a PA student graduating in August and sitting for my boards in September, based out of FL. No prior military experience and history as a licensed Florida EMT-B, ED tech, and over 1000 clinical hours as of now and GPA of 3.4.
      I am currently applying to the Navy for direct commission (DC) withing 6 months of graduation from school and was wondering if anyone has done DC to the navy (and if so what helped you be a good candidate), life as a navy PA-C, what to expect, specialties I can expect to be able to work in, and just any general info. I have a good recruiter but you never know and I hear a lot of good and bad.
    • By ARKprePA
      Older student here. 
      Current Junior in Physiology track, 4.0 GPA. 5+ years working as civilian in clinical psych research for DOD - 2.5 years working with AD 0311s & 3 working with vets in a VA psych Dept. 
      2 questions:
      - is it too early in my college track to be contacting recruiters for info? Interested in Navy PA primarily, open to AF/Army. 
      - my spouse is active duty, E-8 (EOD) with 5 years remaining. Will being a military spouse/married to enlisted make it unlikely for me to be a competitive candidate? 
      Thanks in advance for any info. 
    • By moleashish
      So, you have been accepted to HSCP. Yay! Congrats! Go celebrate (reasonably of course). Then what to do,
      Here is what I have been learning over the course of 3 months of not getting paid. I fixed most of the issues now, so hoping to start getting paid the next pay period. 
      Step 1. Get your Military ID made, ASAP. 
      Step 2. Set up mypay account. It's a pain, however once you have your military ID, do yourself a favor and invest in a CAC card reader. You will be able to set up you mypay yourself. 
      Step 3. Update Bank info on mypay. Very Important. (For some reason PSD still hasn't gotten any info about my bank account even after 2nd submission of my paperwork). 
      Step 4. Hope and pray PSD gets these info including your BAH and start paying you.

• By silvescj
      I will be attending bootcamp for the Navy in October 2018. I have a bachelors degree in sports medicine and will be going in as an E-3 for HM. I plan on attending C school for surgical technician so I can gain more experience before applying to PA school. I would like to know what is the minimum amount of time I am most likely to serve before I can be promoted to an E-5 and apply to IPAP or a civilian PA program. And does anyone have any tips on how I can expedite my journey to becoming a PA (perhaps, should I choose a different C-school)? Any info helps. Thanks! 
    • By EmilyB1994
      Hello everyone! Not sure if this is the right thread, so sorry in advance if it is not. I am applying to physician assistant school this cycle and am speaking with a recruiter on Monday for some information about the Navy. I have been interested in joining for awhile and especially to their HSCP.
      Am I too late to be meeting with a recruiter? I hear some applicants send out their packet when they apply to PA school? Or am I on the right track?
      For those who have applied, how do you think the process was? Were there minimum qualifications for you to be considered? Look forward to hearing back. Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More