Dermatology Offer for New Graduate

Seems like a good practice where I'll be able to receive training/mentoring from another PA as well as the supervising physician. 

2 year contract (can renew 1 year at a time after that)

Salary: $100k, no bonus system, but yearly raises of up to 5% (up to 10% for the first year)

Vacation: 3 weeks (starting after the first 3 months) (I got them to increase it from 2 weeks)

Paid Holidays: 6 (New years, Memorial, independence, labor, thanksgiving, Christmas)

CME: $1500, 1 week off 

Sick time: 4 days (after first 3 months), 2 can be carried over to next year if unused 

Paternity leave: 10 days off (after first year)

Health Insurance: 50% of premiums (just for me, no coverage for my family. No dental or vision)

401k: starts after 1st year with 3% matching 

Malpractice (claims based) and licensing fees covered  (No tail coverage provided)

Non-compete: 2 miles of each office for 6 months (I got them to reduce it from 5 miles for 1 year)

Non-compete is for each of the company's offices (3) in a city of roughly 4 million people. Yeah, the no bonus is weird for derm, but since I'm breaking into derm and I'm also a new grad, I'm willing to take $100k which I think is fair (not some joke like $60-80k for some of these training period derm jobs I've seen). Yeah, I would like more health insurance, but it's a small private practice (which I prefer), so the benefits aren't as awesome as the bigger corporations. 6 holidays is actually in the 50th percentile for the state. 

As a new grad I think this offer is pretty solid. The only additional I would ask for is 2k for CME. After 1 year, you will no longer be classified as "new grad" and can therefore revisit the salary with bonus compenstion structure which is common among most DERM practices. Congrats on the offer nevertheless!

Archived