Can someone explain the difference between an ER Tech and Patient Care Tech?

I'm in the process of finishing up my EMT certification this summer, and I'm beginning to look online for job openings to accrue PCE hours. I already knew I didn't want to be on an ambulance prior to doing this certification. I just did it so that I would be able to apply for ER Tech and PCT jobs that require the certification. I'd rather be a ER Tech or PCT due to being surrounded by PAs and docs that I can get letters of recommendation and accrue shadowing hours from. My question is, what's the difference between an ER Tech and a Patient Care Tech? Is it just that different hospitals assign them different titles? Thanks in advance!

I work as an ER tech in an understaffed hospital so I often work with float techs who work in several different departments depending on need. Through talking with them it seems like the difference between the position is centered around the goals for care. On the floor as a PCT you develop longer-term relationships with your patients and are aiding nurses in day-to-day care to ensure each patient gets the medication, hygiene, and nutrition they need. In the ER the focus is quickly discovering the problem and finding a quick solution for the emergency (i.e. EKG-->STEMI-->cath lab). As a tech in the ER I am more skilled at placing IVs, splinting broken bones, doing EKGs, etc. compared to a PCT, but I am not as proficient in other care aspects. The environments are also super different in terms of pace and stress level (this is also dependent on the type of floor, for example, a rehabilitation department versus an ICU). Regardless both positions are considered PCE and you should choose what fits you and your interests. 

10 hours ago, panglossian said:

I work as an ER tech in an understaffed hospital so I often work with float techs who work in several different departments depending on need. Through talking with them it seems like the difference between the position is centered around the goals for care. On the floor as a PCT you develop longer-term relationships with your patients and are aiding nurses in day-to-day care to ensure each patient gets the medication, hygiene, and nutrition they need. In the ER the focus is quickly discovering the problem and finding a quick solution for the emergency (i.e. EKG-->STEMI-->cath lab). As a tech in the ER I am more skilled at placing IVs, splinting broken bones, doing EKGs, etc. compared to a PCT, but I am not as proficient in other care aspects. The environments are also super different in terms of pace and stress level (this is also dependent on the type of floor, for example, a rehabilitation department versus an ICU). Regardless both positions are considered PCE and you should choose what fits you and your interests. 

First off thank you so much for your detailed response! Right now there's a PCT position open where I live. I'd have to move to apply for the ER Tech jobs. I have no problem moving, but the benefit of the PCT job would be living at home and saving a significant amount of money over the next year or so. I just wasn't sure if going with the PCT job over the ER Tech would be seen as lower tier PCE, as I want the best chance I can get at getting accepted my first cycle that I apply. 

Depending on the job duties that your hospital expects you to do as a PCT, I would say PCT is definitely not a lower tier patient care experience than an ER tech.. but thats just my opinion. I work as a PCT on the cardiology unit and ICU. Sometimes I'm floated to the surgical floor but not to the ER because my hospital wants the PCTs in there to be EMT certified (for some reason this is a new policy, we used to get floated there all the time). The job duties are the same on every floor, the ER might be a little faster paced because, well... its the ER. But all the PCTs in my hospital do all the same things. We are basically CNAs that take vitals, draw blood, perform EKGs, blood sugar sticks, charting, respond to codes, chest compressions in resuscitations, etc. Its GREAT experience despite the fact that I don't work in the ER. I get to know my patients and theres time to actually learn about their DX. Also, working on the cardio floor we are constantly drawing blood (i.e. all the troponins) and doing a ton of EKGs. And working in ICU gives me a lot of exposure to different conditions and I've learned a lot....Its great experience working on the floors, Id say either position (PCT or ER tech) is just as equally good (but again this could depend on the hospital), you will learn a lot!! :)

psych2PA stated it perfectly! As an ER tech I have no idea what happens to my patients once they leave the ER and thus I often do not get a full understanding of their diagnosis. If you can save money by working as a PCT then definitely go that route. Both positions will give you the PCE you need! 

Archived