TENNESSEE: Christian Brothers University 2017-2018

4 hours ago, DD2PA said:

Thank you for your response, it is very helpful! Did you have a writting assignment to do? I want to start preparing asap. Also, I found a couple cheap hotels in the area but do you recommend one in particular? I am driving up there from South Florida. 

They might have changed the itinerary so there may or may not be a writing portion.   To be honest, there isn't much prep to do for the interview except learning more about CBU's history and coming up with questions and concerns you might want addressed by faculty/staff.  Just be yourself, let your passion for becoming a PA shine, and let them see why you'd be a good fit.  You'll enjoy the beautiful campus, great people, and really good food (if they feed you). 

I ended up getting a room through AirBNB in the Cooper-Young area, it was about a 5 minute drive to campus.  They offered free lodging on campus for interviewees as well.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those already admitted: what is the timeline for completing the physical and background check, and whatever else may be required prior to the start date?

I interview soon, and since we were recently married, my wife is getting anxious to plan our honeymoon. Safer to plan on it soon after the interview, or plan it for the last month of freedom?

On September 2, 2017 at 5:44 PM, MagicMorty said:

They might have changed the itinerary so there may or may not be a writing portion.   To be honest, there isn't much prep to do for the interview except learning more about CBU's history and coming up with questions and concerns you might want addressed by faculty/staff.  Just be yourself, let your passion for becoming a PA shine, and let them see why you'd be a good fit.  You'll enjoy the beautiful campus, great people, and really good food (if they feed you). 

I ended up getting a room through AirBNB in the Cooper-Young area, it was about a 5 minute drive to campus.  They offered free lodging on campus for interviewees as well.

Thanks for the advice. I won't let the nerves get the best of me. =)

17 hours ago, Hydrocephalic said:

For those already admitted: what is the timeline for completing the physical and background check, and whatever else may be required prior to the start date?

I interview soon, and since we were recently married, my wife is getting anxious to plan our honeymoon. Safer to plan on it soon after the interview, or plan it for the last month of freedom?

Not yet admitted, but I was offered an acceptance and paid the deposit.  I think they're waiting to hear back about accreditation before they send anything out.  They received my deposit earlier this month and informed me that they're still working out the logistics of some stuff.  I'm hoping the ARC-PA accreditation process will happen soon since they're supposed to decide in September; it looks like ARC meets in mid-September usually.

7 hours ago, MagicMorty said:

I'm hoping the ARC-PA accreditation process will happen soon since they're supposed to decide in September; it looks like ARC meets in mid-September usually.

I've scoured the internet for an exact date on the September meeting, but have only found past dates. Seems they may know the status by the time decisions are made on this next interview group. 

I'm hopeful they achieve provisional accreditation, and they seem confident enough. If they don't, this will be one expensive round trip flight for 2 days in South Memphis!

2 hours ago, Hydrocephalic said:

I just called and spoke with ARC-PA. I was told the meeting has already concluded, and that statuses will be finalized in approximately 5 weeks from today. Figured that was easier than checking the website incessantly.

Wow, 5 weeks is a pretty long time considering the fact that those of us who would be moving to Tennessee would have to finalize living arrangements, physically moving there and all that entails before the start of classes on January 8th. I'm hoping we have some type of confirmation from the school before then....

23 hours ago, Hydrocephalic said:

I just called and spoke with ARC-PA. I was told the meeting has already concluded, and that statuses will be finalized in approximately 5 weeks from today. Figured that was easier than checking the website incessantly.

That's crazy.  Maybe the 5 weeks allows a program that failed to gain provisional accreditation to make the necessary changes to get approved?  Seems ridiculous that they would delay for any other reason.  Maybe CBU will update us or I'll see the check clear my account?  Otherwise, it might be worthwhile to contact Carey Elder for information; she's always been extremely helpful and kind when I've gotten in touch with her.  

I'm hoping that perhaps they mean the public announcement for every program or, like you said, that there's some grace period given to programs that miss the cut. I agree that 5 weeks is crazy, but if that's how it ends up playing out, c'est la vie. I have interviews yet to attend and won't be moving until the week before classes start, so I'm in no rush, but it would be nice to know. CBU didn't offer October interviews... I'm curious if this timeline played into that decision. I honestly don't know why I'm even speculating lol. With an acceptance already, my stressing is behind me :)

Again, good luck to everyone on the reconsider list and those yet to interview! Be proud and be positive!

I emailed Mr. Tooley and received this response: 

You are correct regarding the ARC-PA meeting date.  We anticipate notification within the next two weeks and continue to be confident that we will be granted provisional accreditation.  At the time of the interviews, the target date we announced was the first week of October, not October 1st.  Rest assured that just as soon as formal notification arrives, we will firstly inform all of the applicants, such as yourself, that have been offered a seat and then also all other applicants.  Please be patient with this process, as we don’t have any control over the date of our notification.  Thanks again for your confidence in our program.

13 minutes ago, utvol said:

I emailed Mr. Tooley and received this response: 

You are correct regarding the ARC-PA meeting date.  We anticipate notification within the next two weeks and continue to be confident that we will be granted provisional accreditation.  At the time of the interviews, the target date we announced was the first week of October, not October 1st.  Rest assured that just as soon as formal notification arrives, we will firstly inform all of the applicants, such as yourself, that have been offered a seat and then also all other applicants.  Please be patient with this process, as we don’t have any control over the date of our notification.  Thanks again for your confidence in our program.

Thank you so much for posting this update! It makes me feel a little better. During my interview, Dr. Tooley did say they were very confident about obtaining accreditation. 

Archived