Direct Entry Nurse Practitioner Programs?

Surfing the internet I just ran across some programs called direct-entry nurse practitioner programs. I have not heard of this before. These are two to four year programs for people who have bachelor's degrees but no experience in health care - which fits my situation. Apparently you do a year and a half of study to get a BSN and RN, then another year to get the NP designation. Somewhere in the program is usually some part or full time nursing experience and possibly clinical NP rotations as well. (?)

Is anyone familiar with these programs? What are the pros and cons vs. a PA program? I know that NP's and PA's have slightly (?) different training, but aren't they just about the same out in the work force? (NP's can use their own license to open their own clinic in some states I believe, while PA's can't, but I don't think I care about that.)

I'm also wondering if these programs might be easier to get into than PA school?

Thanks for any info!

As far as easier to get into... not sure.

I looked at both of these options my sophomore year of undergrad. I'm from ohio and we have 3 or for programs (case western, osu, Cincinnati) Cons: Longer program, working and being in a masters program

At the end of the day its about what career you want. I never wanted to be an RN, so why would i work as one for 2yrs to pursue a higher nursing degree? SHadow both careers, go to some info secessions for both program types, see what you like. Don't choose a career based on your best chance of acceptance. No program will let you in if thats your reason.

Guest askyoulc

Vanderbilt has one that's just 2 years. You get your RN the first year and the second year you're doing rotations towards your MSN. I know 2 girls who've done it and they loved it. I think applications just opened for Vandy because I was getting scared that I wasn't gonna get into PA school and I looked at this briefly. A con for me is that you declare your specialty on the application and I have no clue at the moment what I want to practice in once I finish school.

I considered one direct entry program (ECU in NC). You spend one year, get your RN, work another year while taking a few core classes, and then enter your MSN concentration for 1 1/2- 2 more years. According to them, it could not be done in less than 3 1/2 years because of the work requirement in between. They actually want you to work all the way through, so you have more experience, but only the 1 year is required. They had 100% placement of their RNs in a job after that first year- probably because they are affiliated with the area hospital. I really considered (and even interviewed) this option, but ultimately I could not get past the fact that I do not want to be a nurse. I do not want to write care plans, learn nursing diagnoses, and work as a floor nurse to gain experience in order to become a primary care provider. I prefer to spend that time in intensive clinicals getting what I feel is the better education for me. But, as far as direct entry NP programs go, I really think ECU has the right idea in ensuring that their students get some valuable experience. They do not even award a BSN at the end of the program and if you drop out in the middle, it is very hard to transfer their RN credits somewhere else because they use a systems-based approach (so their class descriptions do not match most other programs'). I agree that in practice NPs and PAs are very close, but the question I would ask is: Do you want to be a nurse (that becomes a practitioner) or do you want to be a PA?

Archived