ATLS Courses - Best Place to Take?

Greetings All,

Its that time again - ATLS refresher - but I am going to take the whole course again.  However, I don't want the "death by powerpoint" approach that is usually given.  Travel cost isn't a concern, nor is location.  I want a good ATLS experience.  Any suggestions?

Where I work we see a fair amount of trauma and we are solo providers, and I am very comfortable providing care, but I want something different from a training course while maintaining the ATLS certification.  It may not exist; If others have had different experiences at the courses you have attended I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

G

I am in ATLS this week. I am in a beta test course for the 10th edition. the new focus is small group interaction and smaller class sizes. they still do the power points, but the instructors throw in lots of cases and go around the room pimping folks. overall, a good experience. this is my 6th time taking ATLS and if day 2 looks like day 1, my favorite course so far. Site is OHSU in portland.

If there is one thing I don't care for anymore, its the litany of merit badge courses needed to maintain credentialing at various places.  How many times can I take ACLS in 27 years (13)?  CPR - just kill me.  ATLS is starting to approach this for me as well, particularly with things like Cabofest, cadaver procedure courses, and other stuff that better solidifies the base knowledge we have built over long periods of time.  I do like the sound of what they are doing Eric, I suspect it's to compete with the likes of Levitan, Weingart, et al.  I'd imagine doing it at Shock-Trauma would be interesting... or completely boring as they want it cookie cutter from beginning to end. 

Baltimore in the late summer/early fall.  The seafood will be good at least... I wonder if Tulane would be any better?

G

or LA County USC, talk about rock and roll trauma.......finished the course yesterday. great course. several new skills stations on tourniquets, wound packing, FAST, etc. written test is revised and better written now.  Thinking about the CALS course at some point (comprehensive als). I need to take difficult airway again in the fall as one of my jobs requires it. between 3 different places I have to have acls, atls, pals, difficult airway, and cpr. not to mention state specific stuff like suicide prevention, etc.Would be nice if the CAQ counted for all of that. Hoping to go to full time 24s in the next year so full time would be 8 shifts/mo. would also still do my weekend on the coast for fun so 10 shifts/mo.

• 1 month later...

Archived