Application Cycle 2017-2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone receive an "under review" email? I submitted CASPA and the supplemental recently and I received something from the graduate school but nothing specifically from the PA program. The August 1st deadline is coming up and I want to make sure my application is complete before it's too late. 

I haven't either, the only emails I have received are what I put in the first post. I'm assuming if you've received an email for a JMU-ID set up, then your application has been received as when you go onto the application portal, the graduate school app is clearly shown.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received email invitation to schedule an interview. However, I have just been accepted to Shenandoahs program. I'm still going to interview at JMU to see if it's a better "fit", but if any of your are willing to share:

Why would you choose JMU over Shenandoah or vice versa (other than the cost aspect)? 

@bfluke1816 Congratulations on your acceptance to SU. I will recommend you interview at JMU as well. While others perspective is important, you can also talk to the students from both campuses to weigh in your options reviewing faculty support to the students. They are both good schools in own opinion. 

Do you mind sharing your stats and are you a VA resident? I am still hoping to get invited to interview at both campuses. Congrats again! 

6 hours ago, bfluke1816 said:

Just received email invitation to schedule an interview. However, I have just been accepted to Shenandoahs program. I'm still going to interview at JMU to see if it's a better "fit", but if any of your are willing to share:

Why would you choose JMU over Shenandoah or vice versa (other than the cost aspect)? 

Congratulations! When are you interviewing? Did they give you an option for multiple dates, or just one?

@bensexton2, @SomedayaPA
I got to choose from 2 dates, Sept 22 & Oct 6 (chose the early one). I submitted CASPA May 27th and started hearing from schools end of June. Since this is the first cycle I've applied to, I wasn't sure how "competitive" I was and wanted to apply to a wide variety of schools hoping to get into just one. Ideally I wanted to get into a Virginia school because that's where I live. I was honestly surprised to hear from so many considering I am a recent graduate and relatively young (graduated in 3 years), so I was expecting schools to want more people with "life experience". It goes to show that you don't really know what they are looking for so it's good to apply with an open mind!

Here are my application stats:

- Recently graduated from UF with BS in Dietetics (similar to Nutrition); took many science courses (Genetics, biochem, orgo 1/2, metabolism, disease, etc.)

- GPA: 3.98

- GRE: Verbal 57, Quant 56, Writing 4.0

- 1000 hours of patient contact from CNA/PCA work

-80 hours shadowing various PA's

- letter of Rec's from Nurse Manager, advisor of the club I was president of, RN coworker, Nutrition professor, PA I shadowed

-300 or so hours of volunteer work; 300 or so of extracurriculars (running club, leadership activities, etc.)

Hope this helps! And if your curious, here are the schools I applied to and their status:

- Accepted: Shenandoah, Campbell, South (Savannah)

- Waitlisted: Desales

- Interviews that I declined: Rosalind Franklin, Wingate, Jefferson, Mississippi College

- Schools yet to hear from: Northwestern, Madison Wisconsin

• 3 weeks later...

Got an invite to interview on October 6 or October 20. Although I live all the way down in Florida and this is super last minute, I think I am going to pick the 6th. I am super excited and nervous to be interviewing here!! Just slightly concerned since I have minimal time to prepare...

CASPA submitted 7/2, CASPA Verified 7/4, Supplemental complete 6/30

cGPA = 3.72, sGPA = 3.79, GRE = 317

Hours @ application: Volunteer = 400ish Shadowing = 40ish, HCE as a CNA in the PCU/IMCU = 400ish, plus 2 years of experience working as a manager/ researcher in a neuroscience lab

I just received an email from Sharon informing me that I have been accepted into the PA program!! I am so ecstatic!! My interview with JMU was genuinely a lot of fun and I really liked the current PA students and faculty members that I met. The faculty and students were really nice and really wanted to get to know you. I am overjoyed that I will be attending PA school at JMU! Best luck to all other candidates, especially Group A2 (our group was awesome)!

Stats posted earlier. 

14 hours ago, alc13b said:

I just received an email from Sharon informing me that I have been accepted into the PA program!! I am so ecstatic!! My interview with JMU was genuinely a lot of fun and I really liked the current PA students and faculty members that I met. The faculty and students were really nice and really wanted to get to know you. I am overjoyed that I will be attending PA school at JMU! Best luck to all other candidates, especially Group A2 (our group was awesome)!

Stats posted earlier. 

Hey, congrats! I was accepted as well! I have a couple more interviews but I really love JMU and it's definitely at the top of my list. Great interview day, faculty and students. Everyone was so inviting and warm, it's hard not to love them :)

Leah

Archived