PAs who have done amazing things

• 3 months later...

Today I had to say goodbye to an old friend and great PA who was a pioneer in PA practice ownership here in Texas Mr. Richard Branson. Richard passed at 1PM today after a long fight with chronic heart disease.

Richard and I became fast friends and thick as thieves many years ago when we both served on the TAPA board. Probably more than any other 1 PA he was responsible for the strategy and leg work that achieved the successful passage of legislation granting us scheduled drugs prescribing rights. Since then Richard started his own practice in San Antonio in a very busy and competitive market and then created what he called a practice incubator, a written guide that provided guidance and resources for other PAs who wanted their own practice. He gave this away, along with his personal support and advice, to any PA who wanted to strike out on their own. He never asked a penny or a thank you from anyone he helped and there were many. He was also a driving force in organizing and funding a law suit in federal court that stopped the medical board from, essentially, taking practices away from PAs that owned them because they weren't majority owned by physicians.

He was a quirky genius and I feel sad for the people who couldn't see past the quirk to the gold underneath. PAs in Texas are better for having him among us and are just a bit diminished today with his passing. So long old friend.

Edited by sas5814
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 5

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...