PAs who have done amazing things

Fellow PA Forum members,

I think it would be great to start a thread, perhaps that can be pinned by a  moderator, with a list of news stories, journal articles, and the like, which tell the story of some exceptional clinical things modern PAs have done. For instance, there was a Duke study with PAs performing cardiac angiography as well or better than interventional cardiology fellows. I also recall there was a news article of a PA doing lung transplants almost solo?  I Think that these things would be a great inspiration to upcoming PAs, as well as a resource to show physicians real stories of PA successes. 

Thanks to those that contribute!

• Upvote 4

To start out myself, heres a copy of Journal article detailing PAs doing cardiac caths as good as interventional cardiology fellows after one year of training.

Krasuski, R. A., Wang, A., Ross, C., Bolles, J. F., Moloney, E. L., Kelly, L. P., Harrison, J. K., Bashore, T. M. and Sketch, M. H. (2003), Trained and supervised physician assistants can safely perform diagnostic cardiac catheterization with coronary angiography. Cathet. Cardiovasc. Intervent., 59: 157–160. doi:10.1002/ccd.10491

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ccd.10491/abstract

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Another I remember is Joseph Costa, DHSc, PAC at Columbia in NYC doing lung procurement for transplant, also one of the first, and maybe only PAs to be considered faculty at Columbia.

http://columbiasurgery.org/joseph-costa-dhsc-pa-c

And a journal article authored by him, (attachment).

Physician Assistant Model for Lung Procurements: A Paradigm Worth Considering. Costa, Joseph et al. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery , Volume 96 , Issue 6 , 2033 - 2037.  

PIIS0003497513017074.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DigitalFusion04 said:

Another I remember is Joseph Costa, DHSc, PAC at Columbia in NYC doing lung procurement for transplant, also one of the first, and maybe only PAs to be considered faculty at Columbia.

http://columbiasurgery.org/joseph-costa-dhsc-pa-c

And a journal article authored by him, (attachment).

Physician Assistant Model for Lung Procurements: A Paradigm Worth Considering. Costa, Joseph et al. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery , Volume 96 , Issue 6 , 2033 - 2037.  

PIIS0003497513017074.pdf

This guy is a legend though.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

This was just shared by the Emergency Medicine Foundation:

Congratulations to Aaron J. Cronin, DSc PA-C and Michael Perreault, MD for being awarded a $20,000 EMF/SEMPA Team Grant. Drs. Cronin and Perreault will be worki...ng on their project titled, “Accuracy of Physician Assistants in Diagnosing Lower Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis after Focused Ultrasound Training” at Madigan Army Medical Center.

When asked how they hope their grant will change the practice of emergency medicine, they stated, “Emergency Medicine and student PAs are increasingly training and utilizing bedside ultrasound to expedite ED workflow, improve patient care, elevate provider satisfaction, and raise hospital revenues. Barriers still remain, specifically with PAs obtaining requisite hospital credentials and overall administrative acceptance of this rapidly growing PA skillset. Just as ED physicians had to prove their diagnostic accuracy with bedside ultrasound applications in order to justify charging patients for bedside scans, medico-legal mitigation, and intra-specialty confidence (especially from radiology colleagues), the EM PA profession should investigate research-based outcomes proving their diagnostic accuracy with this skillset.”

A nice example of a PA doing something great (in collaboration with an MD) to further prove PA efficacy. 

• Upvote 3

There are a ton of military PAs with incredible accomplishments. A few off the top of my head:

John Detro (served with 75th Ranger Regiment, awarded Bronze Star, I think a LTC now and a BN commander)

Scott Gilpatrick (160th SOAR APA, awarded Army Aviation Association of America award for Medicine in 06-typically awarded to physicians as I understand it)

Andrew Fisher (Ranger Regiment PA, also awarded Bronze Star, now a medical student)

I'm sure the medics/corpsmen/military PAs could add hundreds of examples to these.

• Upvote 1

JMPA - read on this board to learn more

Heather Trafton - MASS PA who has done a ton of advocacy in the state

Jennifer Hixon - amazing Educator who has been instrumental in starting many programs - currently working on getting the first public university program in MASS up and running...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/14/2017 at 6:43 PM, ventana said:

Jennifer Hixon - amazing Educator who has been instrumental in starting many programs - currently working on getting the first public university program in MASS up and running...

She is such a rockstar! I worked with her a few times when I was a MA...I wanted to attend her PA program but I settled elsewhere.

The program was awarded provisional accreditation and set to enroll their first class in a few months. 

• 4 weeks later...

Shawn Sima PA-C, the PA that I shadowed this year has been working at a county and state level to bring legislation that requires CPR training for high school graduation. He was successful in Brevard County Florida so far but wants to do more. He also manages a group that gives free cardiac screenings to athletics departments across the state as well as a group called TEACH CPR that trains students how save lives. 

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2017/11/01/brevard-schools-add-cpr-training-graduation-requirement/818688001/

https://www.facebook.com/TEACHFLORIDAKIDSCPR/?pnref=lhc

Great thread, it's really motivating to see so many PAs doing great things to grow the profession. There's a good article in the November issue of JAAPA that covers a couple of accomplished military PAs. One is Major Christopher Cordova, DSc, PA-C, who is an Iraq and Afghanistan veteran and a Silver Star recipient from the Battle of Kamdesh. As an Afghanistan veteran myself, I especially look up to guys like that. 

This is his award citation for the Silver Star: http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=27500

And a short Bio: http://www.bushcenter.org/people/christopher-cordova.html 

• 1 month later...