2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lilyofthevalley16 said:

I applied to Marist on 9/12. But haven't heard from the program ever since. Would they have filled all their spots? 

Congratulations to evergone accepted and interviewed!

Hi Lillyofthevalley16,

I don't think all of the spots are filled. I actually interviewed at Marist last January and was wait-listed. So if this cycle is anything like last year, they will be conducting interviews as late as January 2018. If you haven't heard anything from the school you could definitely e-mail the program directly just to make sure they received all the materials that they need. Good luck!

19 hours ago, amurphy13 said:

Hi Kristina! Just wanted to get your opinion on living on campus during the first semester vs. living off. Thanks! 

Congrats on your acceptance! Where are you going to be coming from? I chose to live off campus since I was coming from Chicago and didn't want to deal with moving twice. If you decide to live on campus, you'll have the benefit of being really close to school which could mean extra sleep when needed or coming home for lunch. You'll also gonna get chance to meet and get to know your other classmates better.

22 minutes ago, Kristina-M said:

Congrats on your acceptance! Where are you going to be coming from? I chose to live off campus since I was coming from Chicago and didn't want to deal with moving twice. If you decide to live on campus, you'll have the benefit of being really close to school which could mean extra sleep when needed or coming home for lunch. You'll also gonna get chance to meet and get to know your other classmates better.

Thanks for your advice! I’ll be coming from Long Island so not too far. I think living on campus sounds like a really good deal. I have another question for you regarding setting up a Facebook group for the class of 2020... Did you guys just set one up for your class on your own? Do you think I should check with Marist before I create a group for the accepted students? I’m so excited to start getting to know everyone! 

On 11/14/2017 at 6:55 PM, amurphy13 said:

Thanks for your advice! I’ll be coming from Long Island so not too far. I think living on campus sounds like a really good deal. I have another question for you regarding setting up a Facebook group for the class of 2020... Did you guys just set one up for your class on your own? Do you think I should check with Marist before I create a group for the accepted students? I’m so excited to start getting to know everyone! 

Annie, 

Sorry for my late reply. I think one of our classmates set up our fb page. I mean you can always double check with Marist but I think it was our classmate that set it up. 

Hey guys! I’m a current second year student here at the program, finishing up our clinical year :) ! Congrats to everyone getting interviewed and accepted ! I remember how exciting the process was. I saw someone mention something about clinicals so I thought I can touch on that. Current hospitals we are rotating in are Mid Hudson (aka St. Francis), Kingston Hospital (aka Health Alliance), and Putnam. We have rotations at other non-hospital facilities for family medicine rotations and such... too many to think and write. We sometimes utilize other hospitals as well such North Dutchess and Vassar (Vassar only for specific days on specific rotations). Also, both classes so far set up their own Facebook pages so whoever wants to make the first step in your class , you can. Any other questions or concerns, ask away ! :) 

On 11/25/2017 at 5:49 PM, Lotus_Flower91 said:

Hey guys! I’m a current second year student here at the program, finishing up our clinical year :) ! Congrats to everyone getting interviewed and accepted ! I remember how exciting the process was. I saw someone mention something about clinicals so I thought I can touch on that. Current hospitals we are rotating in are Mid Hudson (aka St. Francis), Kingston Hospital (aka Health Alliance), and Putnam. We have rotations at other non-hospital facilities for family medicine rotations and such... too many to think and write. We sometimes utilize other hospitals as well such North Dutchess and Vassar (Vassar only for specific days on specific rotations). Also, both classes so far set up their own Facebook pages so whoever wants to make the first step in your class , you can. Any other questions or concerns, ask away ! :) 

Thanks for the info!! How are your rotations so far? Do you have good preceptors? Have you felt well prepared / challenged?

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Lotus_Flower91 said:

Rotations are great. Really good preceptors, everyone has been very welcoming to us. Yes, I did feel prepared for rotations.

That makes me feel so relieved! I'm a little anxious to be going to such a new program but all of the students I have talked to so far have said only good things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 2:03 PM, amurphy13 said:

Hi Lillyofthevalley16,

I don't think all of the spots are filled. I actually interviewed at Marist last January and was wait-listed. So if this cycle is anything like last year, they will be conducting interviews as late as January 2018. If you haven't heard anything from the school you could definitely e-mail the program directly just to make sure they received all the materials that they need. Good luck!

I recently applied and reached out to admissions, they told me that by March they would notify applicants regarding acceptance.

Hi Kristina! Just wanted to get your opinion on living on campus during the first semester vs. living off. Thanks! 

Hi Kristina,

I just applied to the program, I wanted to know what your typical class schedule is like during your didactic year. M-F? How late do classes run? I live about an hour away from campus, just hoping I can manage school with a family if I do get it. I am currently getting my second bachelors, in nursing, but I am really not enjoying it. I took this route to become a NP down the line. I have been a medical technologist for more than 12 years now and I have learned a lot on the job and I enjoy the work as well. However, in nursing school you don’t learn anything in depth as far as disease process and physiology, which is why I think PA school would be a better fit for me. But with a family, nursing school is definitely manageable and probably more affordable even if I make it all the way to NP.

Hey Everyone!

I was invited to interview on the 26th and couldn’t be more excited. I’ve read a bunch about the program online and here on the forums. However, I am wondering from those of you who are current students and those who have interviewed, what you feel makes Marist’s program special? There are many aspects of the program that I was drawn to on paper, but I’d love to know from those of you who have experienced it. Let me know!

Danielle

8 hours ago, Danielle31 said:

Hey Everyone!

I was invited to interview on the 26th and couldn’t be more excited. I’ve read a bunch about the program online and here on the forums. However, I am wondering from those of you who are current students and those who have interviewed, what you feel makes Marist’s program special? There are many aspects of the program that I was drawn to on paper, but I’d love to know from those of you who have experienced it. Let me know!

Danielle

Hi Danielle, 

Congrats on your invitation to the interview! I'm currently first year student in my 3rd semester of didactics. The biggest selling point for me was the feeling I had on my interview day. Everyone was very nice and welcoming and they still are. Everyone is invested in your success as long as you are willing to put in hard work. Also we have the newest anatomy lab and had chance to do our own dissections which was great learning experience. 

On 1/10/2018 at 6:56 PM, Pnk132 said:

Hi Kristina,

I just applied to the program, I wanted to know what your typical class schedule is like during your didactic year. M-F? How late do classes run? I live about an hour away from campus, just hoping I can manage school with a family if I do get it. I am currently getting my second bachelors, in nursing, but I am really not enjoying it. I took this route to become a NP down the line. I have been a medical technologist for more than 12 years now and I have learned a lot on the job and I enjoy the work as well. However, in nursing school you don’t learn anything in depth as far as disease process and physiology, which is why I think PA school would be a better fit for me. But with a family, nursing school is definitely manageable and probably more affordable even if I make it all the way to NP.

Hello! 

To answer your question, our schedule varies by semester. First semester we had classes pretty much from 8-5 every day with the exception of a few shorter days. Second semester we had some breaks in between classes and third semester we have some breaks in between as well. Our classes are still M-F; however, now we start at 9:30 with the exception of exam days and ground rounds (we start earlier on those days). Not sure if didactic schedule will stay the same, it might be different for the class that's starting in May, 2018 (our schedule was/is different from is class that is a year ahead of us). Program itself is fast-paced and there were times when we stayed after school longer to prepare for practical exams. And most of our classmates live close by the campus.

Before PA school, I was enrolled in accelerated BSN program as well. It did help me to get more patient contact experience and hours as well as I learned basic physical exam skills. Just like you I knew I wanted to do more than BSN and PA school has always been my main goal. Do you know which field you might wanna work in? Have you tried shadowing PA or NP? Maybe that would help you to decide whether you want to go PA or NP route? Two specialties are very similar. At the end of the day, you have to think what's best for you and your family. I'm pretty sure whatever you decide, it will be a great choice. Medicine is amazing field to be in! :)

Hello! 
To answer your question, our schedule varies by semester. First semester we had classes pretty much from 8-5 every day with the exception of a few shorter days. Second semester we had some breaks in between classes and third semester we have some breaks in between as well. Our classes are still M-F; however, now we start at 9:30 with the exception of exam days and ground rounds (we start earlier on those days). Not sure if didactic schedule will stay the same, it might be different for the class that's starting in May, 2018 (our schedule was/is different from is class that is a year ahead of us). Program itself is fast-paced and there were times when we stayed after school longer to prepare for practical exams. And most of our classmates live close by the campus.
Before PA school, I was enrolled in accelerated BSN program as well. It did help me to get more patient contact experience and hours as well as I learned basic physical exam skills. Just like you I knew I wanted to do more than BSN and PA school has always been my main goal. Do you know which field you might wanna work in? Have you tried shadowing PA or NP? Maybe that would help you to decide whether you want to go PA or NP route? Two specialties are very similar. At the end of the day, you have to think what's best for you and your family. I'm pretty sure whatever you decide, it will be a great choice. Medicine is amazing field to be in! :)

Thank you. I have shadowed and worked for an MD. However, I have seen both PAs and NPs as providers and they both provided exceptional and similar care. Being in the BSN program I have seen the curriculum and though I have not finished my degree yet, I just feel wanting to learn more. I have seen the course curriculum for this PA program and these classes are what I want to further my education in. Why did you take the PA instead of the NP route?

Archived