2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, clamscantfeel said:

Nothing on my end :-( 

I just received my interview offer today with dates of November 14th, 17th, 28th to choose from. Does anyone have any idea how the interview will be set up and how many people we will interview with? Groups? Writing? Given only a 2 hour block for the interview and tour, it's a little different than what I've been at before where the total time was 4-5 hours.

11 hours ago, mortc15 said:

I just received my interview offer today with dates of November 14th, 17th, 28th to choose from. Does anyone have any idea how the interview will be set up and how many people we will interview with? Groups? Writing? Given only a 2 hour block for the interview and tour, it's a little different than what I've been at before where the total time was 4-5 hours.

It's 3 separate interviews: one with 2 faculty members, one with the program director, and one with the director of admissions. No writing, and interviews (I believe) are one on one. 

23 minutes ago, Phillipians46 said:

What do you mean? What happened to their accreditation? 

https://www.ohio.edu/chsp/rcs/pa/about/accreditations.cfm

"At its September 2017 meeting, the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) placed the Ohio University Physician Assistant program sponsored by Ohio University on Accreditation-Probation status until its next review in March 2019.

Probation is a temporary status of accreditation conferred when a program does not meet the Standards and when the capability of the program to provide an acceptable educational experience for its students is threatened.

Once placed on probation, programs that still fail to comply with accreditation requirements in a timely manner, as specified by the ARC-PA, may be scheduled for a focused site visit and/or risk having their accreditation withdrawn.

Specific questions regarding the Program and its plans should be directed to the Program Director and/or the appropriate institutional official(s)."

Seems odd, since their latest PANCE pass rate is 100%.

5 minutes ago, clamscantfeel said:

https://www.ohio.edu/chsp/rcs/pa/about/accreditations.cfm

"At its September 2017 meeting, the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) placed the Ohio University Physician Assistant program sponsored by Ohio University on Accreditation-Probation status until its next review in March 2019.

Probation is a temporary status of accreditation conferred when a program does not meet the Standards and when the capability of the program to provide an acceptable educational experience for its students is threatened.

Once placed on probation, programs that still fail to comply with accreditation requirements in a timely manner, as specified by the ARC-PA, may be scheduled for a focused site visit and/or risk having their accreditation withdrawn.

Specific questions regarding the Program and its plans should be directed to the Program Director and/or the appropriate institutional official(s)."

Seems odd, since their latest PANCE pass rate is 100%.

That's interesting. It makes me wonder what was going wrong on their end for them to be on probation. For them to be such a new program, that's not good. 

35 minutes ago, clamscantfeel said:

Same. I do know one student who graduated this year and he loved the program. I am really curious as to what is going on now.

:/ exactly. I did email the admissions director today to see if they were sending out anymore interview invites though. The accreditation status shouldn't impact when or how many interview invites are sent out. But I'm sure it will make people think twice about their program. 

The program was put on probation for a couple of reasons: the number of clinical sites especially in women's health and pediatrics (which is a reason why a few other schools in Ohio are on probation as well), graduation requirements needing to be updated, ARC-PA saying that the students were not getting taught billing and coding (which there was more than one lecture on that topic for the first class), and ARC-PA saying that the self study measures weren't detailed enough. The program had been working on fixing these things since the beginning. Ohio is tough to find clinical sites especially because the state is not as PA friendly as others, but no one in my class ever did not have a site during rotations. It is not unusual to be on probation in the first year as a brand new program per talking to other students on rotations with programs that are only in their 3rd or 4th year. 

43 minutes ago, OHPA2017 said:

The program was put on probation for a couple of reasons: the number of clinical sites especially in women's health and pediatrics (which is a reason why a few other schools in Ohio are on probation as well), graduation requirements needing to be updated, ARC-PA saying that the students were not getting taught billing and coding (which there was more than one lecture on that topic for the first class), and ARC-PA saying that the self study measures weren't detailed enough. The program had been working on fixing these things since the beginning. Ohio is tough to find clinical sites especially because the state is not as PA friendly as others, but no one in my class ever did not have a site during rotations. It is not unusual to be on probation in the first year as a brand new program per talking to other students on rotations with programs that are only in their 3rd or 4th year. 

Thanks for your insight! That's not my first time hearing that Ohio isn't PA friendly. Do you plan on staying in Ohio or moving elsewhere for a job? 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, Phillipians46 said:

Thanks for your insight! That's not my first time hearing that Ohio isn't PA friendly. Do you plan on staying in Ohio or moving elsewhere for a job? 

That is very interesting. I'm not sure about other areas of the state, but I live in northwest/ west central Ohio near Lima and PAs seem to abundant both in primary care and multiple specialties around this area. This is only a 90 minute drive from Dublin, which doesn't seem too bad. It was actually the abundance of PAs in this area that jumpstarted my interest in the profession years ago.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:16 AM, mortc15 said:

That is very interesting. I'm not sure about other areas of the state, but I live in northwest/ west central Ohio near Lima and PAs seem to abundant both in primary care and multiple specialties around this area. This is only a 90 minute drive from Dublin, which doesn't seem too bad. It was actually the abundance of PAs in this area that jumpstarted my interest in the profession years ago.

My finance's family is from this area too and I hear about how awesome the PAs are in that area. I actually have some classmates going up there to work in ER and family medicine. With having several PA schools in Ohio and trying to have placements for every student with class sizes ranging from 20ish to 50 ish, the number of spots gets limited. I meant that Ohio is not as PA friendly in terms of the laws and getting to practice at the full extent of our scope of practice. Ohio was one of the last states to allow for writing prescriptions for certain scheduled drugs, for instance. The program director of OU is the president-elect for Ohio's Physician Assistant Association and is very passionate about working to expand how PA's practice. 

On 10/19/2017 at 4:36 PM, Phillipians46 said:

I got a job in West Virginia midway through clinicals and it is on the border of Ohio and WV (and 10 minutes from where I grew up in Ohio). I am getting both my WV and Ohio license to practice though because I hope to return to Ohio at some point and also do some PRN work over there in ER. :) Thanks for asking. 

Archived