2017-2018 Application Cycle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings applicants for the 2017-18 cycle! I'm a second year student here at Ohio University's PA program, a native of the Columbus area (Worthington/Dublin), and the class president of the 2018 cohort. We're about 3 weeks away from our white coat ceremony but I'll be in and out of this forum to help answer questions for you. Good luck with your applications and your interviews!

1 hour ago, HugzMonster said:

Greetings applicants for the 2017-18 cycle! I'm a second year student here at Ohio University's PA program, a native of the Columbus area (Worthington/Dublin), and the class president of the 2018 cohort. We're about 3 weeks away from our white coat ceremony but I'll be in and out of this forum to help answer questions for you. Good luck with your applications and your interviews!

Congrats on being so close to your white coat ceremony! What an exciting time! 

Quick question for you - when did you / your classmates first hear about the supplemental? I've heard mixed reviews all the way from August to October! Just wanted to see if I can get an estimate so I don't keep checking my email every 5 seconds.

I submitted to CASPA at the end of June 2015 and got my invitation for the supplemental on August 25th 2015. I didn't get my interview invite until November and it was for the 25th. I received my acceptance phone call on a Friday (Dec 11th) and promptly sent my seat reservation check. Cancelling all of my other interviews was a good feeling. I believe we try to fill 3/4 of the class before the start of the next calendar year but things change in the process, students will go to other programs, and a few will be pulled from the waitlist. If you have specific questions about your application, you could try calling our office and asking Mary Beth or Ricky but they are extremely busy with in house work, graduation for 2017, white coat for 2018, and filtering CASPA primaries. I would wait until the end of July before you start any targeted inquiries.

1 hour ago, HugzMonster said:

I submitted to CASPA at the end of June 2015 and got my invitation for the supplemental on August 25th 2015. I didn't get my interview invite until November and it was for the 25th. I received my acceptance phone call on a Friday (Dec 11th) and promptly sent my seat reservation check. Cancelling all of my other interviews was a good feeling. I believe we try to fill 3/4 of the class before the start of the next calendar year but things change in the process, students will go to other programs, and a few will be pulled from the waitlist. If you have specific questions about your application, you could try calling our office and asking Mary Beth or Ricky but they are extremely busy with in house work, graduation for 2017, white coat for 2018, and filtering CASPA primaries. I would wait until the end of July before you start any targeted inquiries.

Hello! Congrats on almost being done! 

Quick question, how do you feel about the PA program at Ohio University overall and your time there? 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, HugzMonster said:

Thanks for offering your experiences! Really means a lot!

I received an email this morning from OU stating my application was under review and I would hear back about my status anytime between august 1st-august 31st.

3 hours ago, Vakas said:

Hello! Congrats on almost being done! 

Quick question, how do you feel about the PA program at Ohio University overall and your time there? 

Thanks!

The biggest selling points when I made my decision to come was the facility as it is brand new and the fact that this was home for me. Cost is also a factor as our program is half the cost of some programs out there that will put you into the 6 figure range. Having almost completed my didactic training I can unequivocally tell you that our strongest selling point now is our director and faculty. Our current director is now the President Elect of the Ohio Association of Physician Assistants. We also have on our staff a former OAPA President who teaches blocks in our clinical medicine track, patient assessment, and emergency medicine. Columbus is also just city enough without it being overwhelming. You will have plenty to do here in your rare moments of free time.

14 hours ago, HugzMonster said:

The biggest selling points when I made my decision to come was the facility as it is brand new and the fact that this was home for me. Cost is also a factor as our program is half the cost of some programs out there that will put you into the 6 figure range. Having almost completed my didactic training I can unequivocally tell you that our strongest selling point now is our director and faculty. Our current director is now the President Elect of the Ohio Association of Physician Assistants. We also have on our staff a former OAPA President who teaches blocks in our clinical medicine track, patient assessment, and emergency medicine. Columbus is also just city enough without it being overwhelming. You will have plenty to do here in your rare moments of free time.

Awesome, thank you for your comment! Another question would be do you think it will be tougher for me to continue with the process considering I am from Maryland, and not Ohio? I know they prefer Ohio residents, but do you have any in your class from out of state?

13 hours ago, Vakas said:

Awesome, thank you for your comment! Another question would be do you think it will be tougher for me to continue with the process considering I am from Maryland, and not Ohio? I know they prefer Ohio residents, but do you have any in your class from out of state?

We have lots of people in the program from outside of OH. One of them (specifically in the class of 2019) is a graduate of the University of Maryland. A former dietician in my class is also from Maryland originally.

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, pittisit5793 said:

Hello!
Has anyone heard back yet this year? As August 31st approaches, I'm becoming more and more anxious.

I haven't heard anything yet but according to past posts on here the supplementals didn't come out last year until August 25th. So we have a few more days of waiting anxiety to go....

Greetings all! Just thought I'd drop in to provide some encouragement during the process. I don't have any set dates to provide regarding when our supplemental is going to be released. Rest assured, the panel is working on it but please keep in mind that we just completed ceremonies for 2017s graduation, 2018s white coat, and 2019s completion of their first didactic semester. Aside from refining the curriculum (as its always being worked on for improvements and suggestions made by ARCPA), the staff also has to manage rotations for the clinical students, and manage the incoming applications for the 2020 cohort. I would imagine that by now, we're probably looking at close to 1000 primary applications. Last year it was over 700. Best wishes to everyone!

On 8/20/2017 at 8:27 PM, pittisit5793 said:

Hello!
Has anyone heard back yet this year? As August 31st approaches, I'm becoming more and more anxious.

Pittisit5793 I have not heard back either. I'm constantly checking my email hopefully we hear back by Thursday!

Hi everyone! I am an OUPA alumni that just graduated and passed my boards in August! There have been a lot of great changes between my class and the classes that are in didactic and clinical year but I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about the process or anything else PA related. Just to give ya some facts about my class, everyone that has taken the PANCE and found out results have passed! Still waiting on about 7 people to either take the exam or find out results. I'm a little biased, but I think that's pretty amazing for the first class of the program. Anyway, good luck applying and have a great weekend :) 

19 hours ago, OHPA2017 said:

Just to give ya some facts about my class, everyone that has taken the PANCE and found out results have passed! Still waiting on about 7 people to either take the exam or find out results. I'm a little biased, but I think that's pretty amazing for the first class of the program. Anyway, good luck applying and have a great weekend :) 

That's amazing news!! Congrats to all of you guys :)

Also a general question if anyone knows - does every applicant get an invitation to fill out the supplemental? I just submitted mine and was wondering if OU has started thinning out the application pool yet.

Archived