INTERVIEW TIPS!!

First, by doing a good search through these forums there are lots of similar topics discussing these questions. Check it out! 

I recommend purchasing "How to Ace the PA School Interview"...here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/How-Physician-Assistant-School-Interview/dp/0615480721

Do as many mock interviews as you can, specifically with either friends you may have that have gotten into PA school or currently practicing PA's! 

Dress professional: either slacks or a pencil skirt with a nice top and always wear a jacket to tie it all together. I prefer flats or a low heel. I have seen some girls wearing high heel stilettos that can barely walk in them...just don't haha also, don't wear anything too showy (nothing sparkly or low cut) or too tight. Try to be on the more natural side regarding makeup. 

No matter what you do, do not use your cell phone (even on breaks) on any interview day! Act professional and be friendly to everyone. Be confident in who you are and what you want. Making it to the interview step is a big deal! Don't let your nerves get to you and ruin your chances of succeeding.

Hope this helps!

My best advice is don't psych yourself out. I know that it's hard, and whenever people would give me that advice before my interview, I would get super annoyed.... obviously you're going to be nervous. I did a LOT of research on interview tips before my interview, and honestly I didn't really use many of them. I dressed professionally (black slacks, a black jacket, low black heels, a white and black shirt with a modest necklace) and made sure I knew what I wanted to say to the most common PA interview questions - why PA, why not MD/NP/RN, etc. I think the biggest thing that helped me during my interview was being myself. I did not want to put on a show and act like someone I'm not. I smiled, laughed, talked about my dog, and tried to have at least one more personal conversation with my interviewer. Being yourself and not rehearsing/acting different is the best thing you can do, because it helps you calm down and makes you seem very confident. 

The pinned interview tips thread is 28 pages long and obnoxious to sift through so here's my two cents. I worked in undergraduate college admissions for several years and interviewed over 100 applicants. Obviously a PA interview is different compared to an interview for undergraduate admissions, but I gained some insight. I completely agree with colleen_1. My favorite interviews were ones that were personal, which in turn made them memorable. You also will feel more at ease if you are answering honestly and not from a script. Use online examples of interview questions to get your mind thinking and then prepare/write a list of attributes and accomplishments you want to ensure the interviewer knows (do not bring an actual list with you to an interview. This is purely for your mental preparation). This will enable you to leave the interview feeling confident that you mentioned everything you wanted to cover. Also prepare questions for you interviewer! You will hopefully be doing a majority of the talking, but it is great to give them a chance to speak as well.

Pet-peeves of mine: not making eye contact, fidgeting with paper/object in hands, unprofessional dress (short skirt, cleavage, food stained clothing, etc), and obvious lack of knowledge about the programs offered.

• 2 weeks later...

Leave your phone in the car. Be polite to every single person you meet. Your interview starts the second you park your car and ends once your drive off the lot. Wear a suit. If you're a male, shave your facial hair. I have a beard now that I'm in school but I shaved for my interviews.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Archived