Casual Shift Offer (New grad)

Hello all,

I've read few posts on full time employment offers (contract) for new grads in terms of what a contract should look like (Salary, Hours, CME, PTO, vacation, # of patient, Retirement plan, etc.) and red flags to be aware of. Now, can someone elaborate on the dynamics of a PRN or Casual offer. 

Basically, I will graduate in a month and taking the board a month later. Got an interview for a ER job. Got a call the next day from HR stating "We would like to offer you a position on a casual basis until something opens up later. Rate is 57.75/ Hr, would you like to take it ?" I said thanks,  will get back to her about my decision.

I would like to have your opinion on this. Is this typical of PRN position? No mention of a contract term, malpractice coverage, CME, etc ? Any red flag here? What other question would you ask?

Is the hourly rate okay, should I negotiate more since apparently there is NO benefit ? What's reasonable? This is a major hospital systemic in the midwest. Thanks for your feedback!

^^ Details on whether malpractice is offered as echoed by previous replies. Per diem positions don't usually come with benefits except for malpractice. Based on what I've read throughout this forum, per diem hourly rate should be ~30% higher than a FT position hourly rate with benefits. 

Depends on your region, most importantly. Since you've done the research on what you're worth hourly, you can just multiply 1.3x. 

Although, I can't say I was bold enough to ask for 1.3x hourly rate from my per diem job. Not even close. Lot of factors in play. 

Boatswain2pa: Why would you not want that 30% increase if you are not getting all the benefits of a FTE? You are missing out on vacation time/CME $/sick time/401k/short and long term disability/health care coverage and the list goes on.... I would not work anywhere PRN if they paid me the same as their FTE...thats just crazy talk :)

Of course it is up to him, but you can work for $25/hr as well, its up to you Boatswain2PA. All the PRN jobs I worked were not work when you WANT, it had a minimum of 2 shifts per month or 24hrs/6 week schedule... I completely disagree, but you work for whatever you would like to, just be aware you could be screwing others down the road...

Archived