2017-2018 Cycle: MBKU

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone that has an interview on 12/1, and would like to meet maybe the night before for an informal get together let me know. If this doesn’t work, possibly the evening after the interview might work. I live in Anaheim, CA and only a 5- 10 minute drive from the MBKU campus. Look forward to meeting all of you! If anyone who is interviewing at any time and date is traveling from outside the area and has any questions, please feel free to contact me.

For anyone that has an interview on 12/1, and would like to meet maybe the night before for an informal get together let me know. If this doesn’t work, possibly the evening after the interview might work. I live in Anaheim, CA and only a 5- 10 minute drive from the MBKU campus. Look forward to meeting all of you! If anyone who is interviewing at any time and date is traveling from outside the area and has any questions, please feel free to contact me.

6 hours ago, DavidM917 said:

I’m from the north San Fernando Valley so that might be a little far for me! Also since i work until 7 pm the night before but I’m so excited to meet you all! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 8:55 AM, kmash said:

They are provisionally accredited, but they're just starting out and need a trial run before having continued accreditation status. The fact that they have had 0 citations and their first class had a 100% pass rate on the PANCE exam are very good indicators.  If there is a provisionally accredited school that does not end up getting fully accredited at their review, students are still eligible to sit in on the PANCE exam, which is ultimately what you want.  So it's not really a red flag, it's just the way new programs start out.  Everything is pointing in the right direction given their location, 0 citations, and 100% PANCE pass rate on the first class.  It means they have their ducks in a row and are on the right track.  I know the guy who does the PANCE review for MBKU and a few other local schools.  He speaks really highly of MBKU and says they have an all-star staff.  Surprisingly, he does not say the same thing about Stanford, as he says they're really self-interested and have MD's teaching PA students too much about didactics, and not enough about procedures and practical clinical skills.

That's interesting.  Does MBKU provide more clinical exposure in the first year for students to get more practice talking with patients and practicing skills?  

On 11/24/2017 at 8:33 PM, Aivlys89 said:

That's interesting.  Does MBKU provide more clinical exposure in the first year for students to get more practice talking with patients and practicing skills?  

First year student here :-) we do not go out and work with patients during the didactic year as we do not receive our white coat until just before rotations start. We do practice using standardized patients or "actors" which is when we get a history and perform a physical exam. As far as skills go, we do the skill that is associated with that subject matter/module. For example, we just finished Hematology/Oncology and we were tested on venipuncture and IV catheter placement. For our upcoming Nephrology module that we start Monday, we are doing sterile technique and bladder catheterization. Hope this helps answer your questions!

Hi! I got an email that said "you were not invited to the first round of interviews, your application is being considered for our next round of interviews.  The final decision in regards to an invitation to interview will be sent in mid-December." Is this just a nice rejection letter or is there still hope of getting an interview?

9 minutes ago, PeonyPA said:

Hi! I got an email that said "you were not invited to the first round of interviews, your application is being considered for our next round of interviews.  The final decision in regards to an invitation to interview will be sent in mid-December." Is this just a nice rejection letter or is there still hope of getting an interview?

I just got the same email. Wondering the same thing. 

On 12/2/2017 at 8:45 AM, PACiswhatIwillbe said:

First year student here :-) we do not go out and work with patients during the didactic year as we do not receive our white coat until just before rotations start. We do practice using standardized patients or "actors" which is when we get a history and perform a physical exam. As far as skills go, we do the skill that is associated with that subject matter/module. For example, we just finished Hematology/Oncology and we were tested on venipuncture and IV catheter placement. For our upcoming Nephrology module that we start Monday, we are doing sterile technique and bladder catheterization. Hope this helps answer your questions!

Yes, it does! Thank you!

15 hours ago, PeonyPA said:

I got that email yesterday too! I don't think it's necessarily a nice rejection letter because if I recall correctly, they are not rolling admissions and will still be conducting interviews January and February. So I think they just wanted to keep us updated on the process!

On 12/4/2017 at 9:39 PM, PeonyPA said:

That's the same email I got, fingers crossed that we get an invite

Hi! I know some of you are feeling antsy about not hearing from the program yet, but stay hopeful. Driving yourself into despair seems like the easier thing to do, right? Believe me, I've been there. It's tough to stay positive, but let's all keep busy and moving forward, with our end-goal in mind. Plus, it's the most magical time of the year! The holiday season is upon us. With that being said, I'm beyond grateful to have had the opportunity to interview here yesterday, and the experience just reaffirmed why this program is my top choice. They did not mention how many more interview sessions there will be, but I overheard one of the current students say two more in January, and then decisions go out in February. Hope this gives some of you an idea of their timeline for the remainder of this cycle. Wishing everyone the best of luck and happy holidays!

Archived