2017-2018 Cycle: MBKU

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello there! I submitted in June but didn't hear back for 3 weeks then called, someone said I should be getting a confirmation email soon. Didn't hear anything after another week so I called again and I guess there's some system error. So I had to contact IT and they helped me set up the portal to pay for the secondary. I think I submitted the payment on July 5th. Heads up to anyone else, if you don't hear back after 2 weeks max of submitting your CASPA, follow up, it may be something on their end. Good luck to everyone :)   

45 minutes ago, Rellie said:

Hello there! I submitted in June but didn't hear back for 3 weeks then called, someone said I should be getting a confirmation email soon. Didn't hear anything after another week so I called again and I guess there's some system error. So I had to contact IT and they helped me set up the portal to pay for the secondary. I think I submitted the payment on July 5th. Heads up to anyone else, if you don't hear back after 2 weeks max of submitting your CASPA, follow up, it may be something on their end. Good luck to everyone :)   

Great info Rellie. Thanks for sharing. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/6/2017 at 10:57 AM, kmash said:

I called MBKU today regarding their accreditation status because for some reason I thought they would have updated news in 03-2017.  They stated that during their last review, they had 0 citations, but they would not know their full accreditation status until 2019.

Does this mean they are not still provisionally accredited?

I thought schools can still accept students with a provisional accreditation? Zero citations sounds like a good thing to me. Here's what I found on ARC about it.

Accreditation-Provisional

Accreditation – Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding accreditation-provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students.

Accreditation – Provisional does not ensure any subsequent accreditation status. Accreditation – Provisional is limited to no more than five years from matriculation of the first class.

Accreditation-provisional remains in effect until the program achieves accreditation-continued after its third review, closes or withdraws from the accreditation process, or until accreditation is withdrawn for failure to comply with the Standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, matopa22 said:

Does this mean they are not still provisionally accredited?

They are provisionally accredited, but they're just starting out and need a trial run before having continued accreditation status. The fact that they have had 0 citations and their first class had a 100% pass rate on the PANCE exam are very good indicators.  If there is a provisionally accredited school that does not end up getting fully accredited at their review, students are still eligible to sit in on the PANCE exam, which is ultimately what you want.  So it's not really a red flag, it's just the way new programs start out.  Everything is pointing in the right direction given their location, 0 citations, and 100% PANCE pass rate on the first class.  It means they have their ducks in a row and are on the right track.  I know the guy who does the PANCE review for MBKU and a few other local schools.  He speaks really highly of MBKU and says they have an all-star staff.  Surprisingly, he does not say the same thing about Stanford, as he says they're really self-interested and have MD's teaching PA students too much about didactics, and not enough about procedures and practical clinical skills.

Current MBKU student here, let me clarify the confusion. They are Accreditation-Provisional because they are still a new program, not because of lack of strength in the program. Usually takes about 5 years for the Accreditation-continuation status to be applied to a school. Regardless of this status, all PA students who graduate are able to sit for the PANCE and are fully certified PA's. Given the strength of the program so far (100% PANCE rates and known for producing strong PA's), I would encourage you to look into the school further and see if its a match for you! I applied and interviewed at several schools (several well known medical programs...trying not to call them out here :) and still chose this program over those because it really is a strong program. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to share some info I learned at the open house this past weekend, the early application deadline does NOT mean you have a higher chance of getting in, it just qualifies you for an interview date in December rather than january. Interviews run from december-february, and there are only 180 interview slots for a class of 35. Current students said they didn't hear back on interview status until November, and those were the ones who applied before September 1. No rolling admissions, and all of the current students loved it there! Brand new simlab, anamotage tables, it was pretty awesome ?

2 hours ago, Huskylover said:

Great, thanks for the info! I went and toured the campus a few weeks ago because I knew I wouldn't be able to make the open house and I agree! Love their campus and they have some great new equipment! Really looking forward to hearing back about an interview in the next month! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived