Obtaining CNA/EMT Certification WHILE enrolled as full time college student?

I am a senior in college, with no health care experience whatsoever. I have plenty of volunteer hours, and 2 years of research experience.. but no HCE which is the most important!

I was considering of applying to PA school in June 2012, however w/ my low GPA (3.2), i am discouraged, i don't think ill have a chance to get in.

I'm always looking for any sort of "non-certified medical assistant job" but they all require some sort of experience as well.

My question is, Has anyone took a CNA/EMT course (or any sort of certification course) WHILE still a full time student at a university?

I do not want to take a semester off from school in order to obtain a certification as a CNA/EMT

I will be taking classes in the summer as well and my Plan is to graduate December 2012.

Any advice or suggestions.. please let me know.. Thanks!

It's possible! I did my EMT while going to school full time. Although I wouldn't recommend it because it was quite a strain, I would say that if you're going to do it then try to eat healthy for that period of time (if not indefinitely) - I felt like that was what really kept me going even though I was mentally and physically fatigued every day.

It's definitely possible. In my state, it only takes 3 weeks full time to be a CNA so I did it during a school break but there was an option to take a class over a few months that was doable in addition to a full course load. If you are in a college town or city with many colleges, you might have luck finding a job as a home care aide/helper for a student with disabilities without being certified. Friends of mine found jobs like that on a student jobs postings board and did that for a semester to get experience that helped them to get MA jobs without any certificates except BLS.

I'm in a similar situation. 3.3 GPA and took EMT course in my university that's supposed to be among the best in Illinois. Difficult but pays off. I say do it. Now.

Because of it I'm able to get an interview to a local hospital as a cardiac patient care tech next Monday the 20th. Excited but nervous.

If your have any questions let me know.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII.

The key thing to remember is getting the EMT or CNA certification is only the 1st and smaller step. The more important one is using that certification to get HCE: not just hours, but actual experience. Sooner or later you have to pay the learning curve of learning how to interact with patients and their families, knowing what "sick" looks like, etc. If you've seen a patient with a condition, it provides a base of understanding when you learn about it in PA school.

I took an EMT-B night course that met 2 nights a week 5:30-10 with occasional Saturday meetings that lasted from 8-4. The course ran from November 2010-March 2011. I was enrolled full time while school was in session (off for Thanksgiving and Christmas break) and I also worked 30 hours/week in the biology lab. The classroom material and skill assessments were nothing to worry about and the biggest challenge was fitting in the 96 hours of clinical rotations (including two 24 hour shifts with Paramedics) in a 3 week span. All of this to say that balancing a full time class schedule with EMT-B training in the evening is no problem. If you can manage your time even remotely well you should be a certified EMT in no time. Hope this helps, good luck!

It's possible! I did my EMT while going to school full time. Although I wouldn't recommend it because it was quite a strain

I attended night EMT classes while working a full-time job during the day. That combination was a breeze compared to PA school. Learn how to handle the increased workload now so you're ready when you get the PA-S invite.

I just finished my CNA class which was only 21 days while being enrolled in 13 semester units. The class is very straight forward and a majority of the class is common sense.

If it makes you feel any better, I interviewed at a school last year with a 2.9 GPA and had no HCE. I did not get accepted, but it gave me hope to continue pursuing this career. I am a firm believer that if you really want something you will be able to obtain it. So keep a positive attitude and make sure this is what you want to do. Good luck!

I agree. The sooner, the better. I will have a similar GPA when I graduate and I'm doing everything possible to compensate with other factors such as 7,000+ hrs direct patient care and volunteering at the local county health clinic. Rack up those hours and look for programs that really emphasize HCE although it seems more and more schools are shifting to the 4.0 GPA student with minimal HCE, so yes-sooner is better.

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question. I start EMT-B class on Monday at a college around here. I signed up somewhat late and the coordinator is dealing with a family medical program so he hasn't been very responsive. I was just wondering though for those who did it, is there anything that I definitely need to know/bring for the first day of class? I asked about textbooks and supplies but he has not responded and I don't want to bother him while he is helping his family member. Is there anything specific I should wear? I'm assuming the first class is mainly lecture-based but I just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases. I do plan on bringing a notebook/pencil to take notes but any other advice you all could give would be awesome!

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question. I start EMT-B class on Monday at a college around here. I signed up somewhat late and the coordinator is dealing with a family medical program so he hasn't been very responsive. I was just wondering though for those who did it, is there anything that I definitely need to know/bring for the first day of class? I asked about textbooks and supplies but he has not responded and I don't want to bother him while he is helping his family member. Is there anything specific I should wear? I'm assuming the first class is mainly lecture-based but I just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases. I do plan on bringing a notebook/pencil to take notes but any other advice you all could give would be awesome!

My class had a specific textbook, and we needed a stethoscope and bp cuff, as well as a penlight. But we didn't need to bring it with us to the lectures, only for practicals. Bare minimum go ahead and bring your pen and notebook.

Have you gotten tb tested? Mine requires a two-step so I'd get it over with right now while waiting.

Hope that helped.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Archived