What undergraduate degrees?

Hi everyone,

I am a freshman in college and would like to become a PA.  I'm currently trying to decide what my best options are for a bachelors degree before applying to PA school. 

May I ask you all what undergrad degrees you all got before PA school?

Microbiology! I really enjoyed my undergrad major.

I will say that if I wouldn't have gotten into PA school, I'm not sure I would have been thrilled with that major because most of the jobs were lab or quality control jobs. I worked in a clinical lab for a little while before PA school and knew it wasn't the job for me. So make sure to think about a major that could still get you into a good enjoyable career if PA school doesn't end up being it. Just something to keep in mind.

I recommend getting a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing.  My first degree was Molecular Biology which is limiting.  By getting a BSN you are able to apply to any health care related graduate programs you would like to (NP, CRNA, PA, MD/DO, PharmD, etc), plus, if you don't get in to a grad school, you can work as a nurse and make a decent salary.  While I learned a lot in my first degree, my BSN was far more useful and practical.

You can get in with any degree, as long as you take the prereqs.

My advice: take something that you are interested in and could get a job in if you (a) decide in the end not to go to PA school or (b) are delayed for whatever reason and would like to do some interesting work in the interim.

Life often goes to those with plan Bs, and Cs, and ...

Good luck!

I agree with everyone above. Find a degree that will give you a job in something you would like doing in case you don't get into PA school. I went into Respiratory Therapy for example and worked 5 years before applying. This made me a better candidate by giving me awesome HCE but also I made decent money and if I wouldn't have gotten into PA school could have seen myself working in that field with no issue. PA school is only becoming more competitive.

Get a degree in a field you find interesting and would help you find a job in the event you end up changing your mind about being in medicine or it doesn't work out the way you hope/plan.

My bachelors degree is in Finance. I actually ended up working in corporate finance for many years before deciding to go back to school to get into medicine. I don't regret it at all. I just applied and I hope to get accepted. Good luck to you!

Archived