Advance Salary Survey 2011

I think if we throw out the really small responders this would look like it always does:

at the top you have em, surgery, and derm. been that way for over a decade.

really, in what survey does academic make more than cosmetic derm? answer: only program directors answered the survey.

nice to see that avg pa salary has now officially doubled in the short time(relatively speaking) I have been a pa.

Has Advance become less of a resource for PAs since they have changed to Advance for NPs and PAs? I heard that they also fired their PA editor recently. I think that they used to be a good source of news in the PA community that was independent of the AAPA. I don't have a problem with the AAPA but I understand the value of an independent voice.

I personally do not look at Advance much anymore because I feel that they are not speaking to the issues that I think are important or interesting. However, I have not had a problem with Clinician 1. I really can't explain why I am neutral about Clinician 1 but feel negative about the new direction for Advance. It may be because Clinician 1 covers PA issues well and Advance has made their future direction clear by sending their PA editor away.

I still have several months to go before I am certified, but I am disappointed in the closing gap between PA's and NP's. I see this somewhat as a failure of AAPA, and state agencies. PA's have plenty going for them, but I get the impression that our representation is somewhat timid.

My anecdotal impression is that PA's and NP's are seen as somewhat interchangeable in the hospital/clinical setting (with NP's apparently getting every case signed off).

I completely agree with you Davo. I am anxious to finish PA school so that I can make a difference. I respect NP's but do not think they are the same as PA's and they should certainly not be used interchangeably. I feel that the AAPA is more timid and the reason NP's are in the position they are and are being given more and more practice rights (which is think is just plain ignorant) is because they lobby and push more than PA's do.

to enjoy advanced

now it is just to much flash and not enough substance - and I really dislike the "soft" nursing stuff --- I want to know the bug and drug and how to dx and treat - not that mrs so and so is needs to sit and talk for an hour. I spend a lot of time with my patients and get to know them, but I disagree that we should all be doing "nursing" to help our patients.

yeah, now I don't read advance. But I do like clinician1 and have enjoy the discussions

as for salary survey - it is all about sample size and AAPA has that

The salary survey is kinda interesting- I'm a PA. It seems PA salary is about 100K +/- a few dollars depending on the skill level/area. I guess each area has its advantages/disadvantages and employers/doctors pay for the more intensive skill sets. I wonder how our salary compares to an MD in the same areas? Will the new NCCPA CAQ allow us to expand our documented role in the clinic thus allowing us to earn more?? hmmm.

Archived