Emergency Medicine Job Offer

I got an offer as new graduate to work night shift in emergency department 

Overview:

- 60$ per hour for 36 hours/week in 12 hour shifts (I can have as many shifts in a row as I want as long  I do 12 shifts a month)

- minimum of 128 hours a month to get full benefits

- 1 year contract renewed annually

- No PTO

- $1500 CME

- Retirement plan: 5% contribution

- Medical, dental, and disability

- Malpractice coverage with tail

-Non-negotiable contract.

what do you guys think?

Guest ERCat

Seems like an average offer for ER. It's hard to get into ER as a new grad so I would take it. But how much doc support will you be getting overnight? That's the most important question. 

I'd say it all depends on the supervising physician support/training you will receive. If the docs are more then willing to show you the ropes and teach you, then by all means take the job. I did an EM residency my first year out and I took a very large pay cut, but the experience I obtained and excellent support I received from my supervising physicians was absolutely worth it. Now going into my second year I feel comfortable and confident in my ability to handle whatever walks in through the door, and I am well versed in 95% of the procedural skills needed in the ER, Including bedside US.

Archived