To Alumni or Current Students:

To everyone who is or was a student here at ATSU, what makes you guys enjoy this program and why did you choose this one over another? I am looking into their website and am really drawn to their osteopathic approach-- what drew you guys here? 

I am a current student in the class of 2018. I love a lot of things about our program, but I think one of the main reasons I came to this school over other programs I was accepted to is because of how the didactic year is organized. We work through all our material by system based learning. This way we are integrating every aspect of that one body system at the same time (pharmacology, diagnostics, clinical medicine, history and physical exam, pathology, anatomy/physiology etc). This allows for a greater understanding of the condition as a whole, as well as allowing us to test in a very PANCE like setting. Almost all of our test questions are clinical vignettes where you have to recognize buzz words pointing to the condition and how this correlates to pharmacology or diagnostic testing (for example). I also believe this really helps us to develop clinical minds because we are forced to look at the big picture rather than just focus in on one aspect (anatomy etc). 

We also build our knowledge, once we learn a system our instructors expect us to know it and correlate our knowledge into the next system, this again improves our clinical minds and strengthens our vignette based test taking abilities.  

Other bonuses of our program is getting to have lots of patient encounters throughout didactic year by attending didactic clinical experiences (DCEs) in a family med, pediatric or ENT office (as well as many other opportunities). We have numerous volunteer opportunities which further expose us to patient care hours, and also participate in teaching a matter of balance course to senior citizens and going to a transitional care facility and conducting a history and physical exam on a patient which we later present to our preceptor. 

We also have amazing instructors, most of which are still practicing once a week! This means that they are up to date on not only the academic knowledge but the clinical knowledge as well. They are able to tell us while one drug may be the textbook preferred it's not tolerated well by real patients (cost, side effects etc). This knowledge helps to prepare us for clinical year, and knowing what is most important to patients. 

Hopefully that somewhat answered your question, if you have more feel free to DM me :) 

Best of luck with applications!

Natalie 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jlhudson88

Current PA class of 2019, I came to this school because of the early patient exposure, leadership options, and involvement with the community. The focus is on being a PA not a test taker who happens to be a PA. Dont misunderstand you take tests but the focus is learning and applying it. The program is also adapting constantly and takes feedback seriously to make the improvement necessary to follow through with the school's mission. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2017 at 5:51 PM, emilyyx said:

To everyone who is or was a student here at ATSU, what makes you guys enjoy this program and why did you choose this one over another? I am looking into their website and am really drawn to their osteopathic approach-- what drew you guys here? 

Thank you for asking this question! It is a fantastic question and helps future students get a better understanding of why ATSU.

Archived