Recent AAPA Announcement

It may be a minority opinion but I personally think its the right move. I think trying to come up with an entirely new certifying body would be a tremendous feat, and cost a large amount of money. We need to be focused on OTP and creating a new certifying body would take away from that effort. I think the NCCPA learned that PAs are NOT ok with what they did in WV and other states. Besides only 18 states still require the PANRE, we just need to get that number to 0.

So the NCCPA has already stated cearly they will have an alternative to high stakes testing for the recert. The AAPA has committed to hiring an outside cosultant/expert to identify best alternatives to high stakes testing. As long as everyone plays nice and makes some effort there is no reason this shouldn't work out well. I would like to see the NCCPA earn back some of the trust it has lost and see the division in the profession healed. It will take some time and a policy of "trust but verify" but I am hopeful.

I wish the AAPA didn't back out from this. 

I know it takes money, which the AAPA has more than I think people realize.  However, I do think that after the up-front cost, the new MOC would become a money maker--paying back and then a revenue producer.  I do not feel that developing a new MOC and OTP are mutually exclusive at all, as some seem to suggest. 

We need change and I have no trust in the NCCPA, at all at this point and feel the change could have been a strong change in coming up with a new MOC, (not an original certifying system but, rather, MOC).  This change would have been a awesome way to break some of the choke-hold of the harmful NCCPA.  I'm highly disappointed. 

I do think some different language (i.e. tabling)  and methodology would have been more appropriate. To clarify though, a maintenance of certification program only was a no go from the outset. For the accrediting body to receive accreditation itself requires them to have both initial cert and maintenance of cert. There is a period of time where they(a new certifying body) can grandfather individuals  who meet a certain standard (like current NCCPA cert) but that pathway has to be closed after a defined period of time.

The NCCPA timed their announcement perfectly to coincide with the start up time for a new organization, and to also coincide to the three year period they will have no revenue from recerts in 2020-2023 with the shift to the new 10 ear cycle.

Soooooooooo, AAPA folded like a house of cards in the wind! Yep and this is the crux of the issues for our profession, unwillingness to be confrontational and combative to protect ourselves and our future! Yes we are the proverbial big old lap dog that barks loudly but really just wants it's belly rubbed and to be liked!! Well for those of you with many years left in the profession, good luck in your roll as eunuchs for NCCPA and AAPA, oh yes get off and stay off of the furniture! Let me know when the real fighters show up and I'll be there along with my check book!

Archived