Case Western 2017-2018 Application Process

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, makhachnabiev said:

Hey guys, quick question, did any of you take Biochemistry as online class or it was as a regular in campus class?

It doesn't say that Biochemistry need Lab with it under prereqs, that is why I wonder if it can be taken online. 

Thanks

I took it as a regular class... 

18 minutes ago, makhachnabiev said:

Hey guys, quick question, did any of you take Biochemistry as online class or it was as a regular in campus class?

It doesn't say that Biochemistry need Lab with it under prereqs, that is why I wonder if it can be taken online. 

Thanks

This is what the website says: 

• Prerequisite course requiring a lab may not be taken online.
  • Prerequisite courses, other than Medical Terminology, that do not require a lab will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must be pre-approved by the program.

I would recommend calling or emailing the program. Med term was the only prereq I took online.

Yes, I saw that part, but specific classes which required Lab say so. However, Biochemistry don't 

• Biology with lab: 4 semester hours
  • Human anatomy with lab: 4 semester hours (comparative anatomy may not be substituted)
  • Human physiology with lab: 4 semester hours (animal physiology or kinesiology may not be substituted)
  • Microbiology with lab: 3 semester hours
  • Organic chemistry with lab: 8 semester hours
  • Biochemistry: 3 semester hours

This is why its not clear for me, gonna e-mail them.

45 minutes ago, makhachnabiev said:

Yes, I saw that part, but specific classes which required Lab say so. However, Biochemistry don't 

• Biology with lab: 4 semester hours
  • Human anatomy with lab: 4 semester hours (comparative anatomy may not be substituted)
  • Human physiology with lab: 4 semester hours (animal physiology or kinesiology may not be substituted)
  • Microbiology with lab: 3 semester hours
  • Organic chemistry with lab: 8 semester hours
  • Biochemistry: 3 semester hours

This is why its not clear for me, gonna e-mail them.

It says that any classes online other than med term need to be pre-approved by the program, so definitely email them! You do not need to have a lab.

To accepted students... I’m looking for 1+ other people to have as room mates in Cleveland. I’m up for either an apartment with someone else or even a larger house to rent with multiple roomies! If anyone is interested please let me know via private message! id like to start hunting for places by the spring! 

Anyone that was accepted from the first interview, were most of the calls done in the morning, or could they occur any part of the day?

Also. Did anyone send their interviewers a thank you email. I know they review everyone immediately after the interview, so I'm wondering if it's even worth it since they probably already made a decision. 

1 hour ago, tjl2888 said:

Anyone that was accepted from the first interview, were most of the calls done in the morning, or could they occur any part of the day?

Also. Did anyone send their interviewers a thank you email. I know they review everyone immediately after the interview, so I'm wondering if it's even worth it since they probably already made a decision. 

I got the call in the morning, but I still wrote a thank you note!

I had a couple of conversations with current students on housing area preferences, but I just wanted to check-in and see if anyone else had some great input during the interview? The responses I got were pretty in line with the CWRU SOM's housing guide (HOUSING GUIDE.pdf). That is, many seemed to prefer Coventry, University Circle and Little Italy.

I was also told of this school-specific resource? https://students.case.edu/services/aloha/

Hi guys! For those that were accepted and already put down a deposit for the program, did you get any follow-up information? Or are we expected to kind of sit around until the new year to get more information on starting the program? 

Also, congratulations for everyone who got in!!!! Class of 2020 here we come! Is there a new facebook group? I can seem to find "Case Western PA Program 2020" on facebook. 

2 hours ago, jhnm2020 said:

Hi guys! For those that were accepted and already put down a deposit for the program, did you get any follow-up information? Or are we expected to kind of sit around until the new year to get more information on starting the program? 

Also, congratulations for everyone who got in!!!! Class of 2020 here we come! Is there a new facebook group? I can seem to find "Case Western PA Program 2020" on facebook. 

Congrats on your acceptance too! I can't speak much on the deposit side yet, as I am still waiting for my official instructional letter (sent via snail mail) on how to pay it. I believe the facebook group is titled, "Case Western PA Class of 2020." Let me know if it doesn't work, and we can get you an invite!

10 hours ago, jhnm2020 said:

Hey, the letters were sent out yesterday via Deidre so they should come some time this week. I received my letter in an email as well because I needed it for a program. So as far as the information, yes after you pay your deposit, we will be playing the waiting game until the new year because they want to complete the cohort. So just a sneak peek from the letter for what to expect if the anticipation is killing you. :)

letter.png

8 hours ago, PAc2020 said:

Just got the email invitation to interview on the 16th! Can't wait!! For those that interviewed, what is the format like? The email makes it sound like it is going to be a long day.

Congrats on the interview! I found the format to be pretty similar to what you would expect at other programs: a mix of traditional, ethical, and situational questions. Despite the amount of talk time (3 separate interviews/applicant), it was very conversational and relaxed. In the end, I was actually thankful for the extra opportunities to emphasize why I was a great fit for their program. If you're lucky and get a break between your scheduled interview blocks, take advantage by reflecting on some experiences you haven't brought up yet. Before your interview, I suggest taking a few days to explore Cleveland (its fantastic!) and familiarize yourself with the incredibly diverse backgrounds of CWRU's PA Program faculty.

Good luck!

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:53 AM, Sensa23 said:

Congrats on the interview! I found the format to be pretty similar to what you would expect at other programs: a mix of traditional, ethical, and situational questions. Despite the amount of talk time (3 separate interviews/applicant), it was very conversational and relaxed. In the end, I was actually thankful for the extra opportunities to emphasize why I was a great fit for their program. If you're lucky and get a break between your scheduled interview blocks, take advantage by reflecting on some experiences you haven't brought up yet. Before your interview, I suggest taking a few days to explore Cleveland (its fantastic!) and familiarize yourself with the incredibly diverse backgrounds of CWRU's PA Program faculty.

Good luck!

Were there any group interviews or all just individuals with multiple faculty/staff? Over six hours seems like a long time for only 1.5 hours of interviewing.

6 minutes ago, mortc15 said:

Were there any group interviews or all just individuals with multiple faculty/staff? Over six hours seems like a long time for only 1.5 hours of interviewing.

The interviews are actually 2 hours because you get a 30 min break in there. You will have an interview with either one or two staff members . They are all individuals. Reid (Sensa23)described it best it’s a mix of interview type questions. You will sit with The Program director for about 1.5 hours to discuss everything about the school and program . Go to your interview, have lunch with the FY students and debrief with Professor Lord. It was a pretty relaxing day. Just be yourself and you’ll do fine. 

Did anyone from yesterday's interview hear back? Did anyone new from the 10/19 interview hear back? I did get an update email on 10/30. Same email was sent out last year per the forum (minus the change in dates)

Thank you for interviewing with the CWRU Physician Assistant Program.  Just a quick note to touch base with you and let you know where we are with our admissions process.  Interviews are going well and will continue through December 21, 2017.  We are beginning to offer a few (conditional) acceptances while continuing to review all interviewed applicants.

We are excited to be considering candidates for our third class from all over the United States. We continue to enhance our didactic curriculum and our first cohort of students has already begun their clinical rotations. 

Our current first year students have begun their community engagement at Play, Learn and Grow, Ohio’s early intervention program for children with developmentally impairments and delays.  Students are also actively engaged in Staywell, the wellness screening and health education program affiliated with the Cleveland Hunger Network.  Additionally, we continue to increase our faculty, bolstering our expertise in the area of interprofessional education.

At present we are still actively considering your application.  We will try to update you regarding your status every couple of weeks until completion of our admissions process.  We appreciate that you may have to respond to other programs before we can give you a definite response regarding your status, but we are doing our best to move through this process in a timely yet thoughtful manner.  

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through our admissions process.

Sincerely,

David Shafran, MD, MA
Medical Director and
Chair, Admissions Committee

Cynthia Booth Lord, MHS, PA-C
PA Program Director
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, Ohio

Archived