• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, TiraMissU said:

I agree, this definitely is alarming. But from what I've seen in the past with programs that have lost accreditation, current students are allowed to finish the program and take the exam (there was a program in Maryland that recently lost their accreditation), but they aren't allowed to admit new students. However, I will say that being on probation doesn't mean they will certainly lose their accreditation. This is nerve-wrecking nonetheless.

I sent out my deposit last Thursday. I haven't heard back from them yet, but was thinking of giving them a call by the end of this week to confirm that they received it.

They were out on probation this past March, so it’s not because they transitioned to a master program. They were a masters program in 2016, so the probation is because of something else.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:11 AM, Arina said:

Hi there, do you mind answering some questions about the program. Unfortunately Do to work I can’t attend your club meetings but I was accepted into the program and would like to know how is the schedule like? Professors? Do you feel like you have all the resources you need? What would you change about the program? Thank you! 

Sure! Congratulations by the way.

The schedule is Monday - Friday usually 8-4/5 depending on the semester and the availability of the instructors. this semester we tended to start at 10 and tended to end at 3/4 but once a week we'd end at 6. It varies because there are the "Stand alone" classes Physiology, Anatomy, Pharmacology, and a few others that have 1 professor. But we also have a separate Clinical Medicine class (CML) that's composed of multiple subjects. So this semester our clinical medicine class was GI, Cardiology, Pulmonology, Infectious Diseases, and Nutrition. For the CMLs you could have a different instructor each lesson. So it's very difficult for the school to schedule. Having multiple instructors for the CMLs is tough. Some aren't good at teaching, some don't know what we need to know, and what you learn in class is never enough to pass the test. (PA school is all about the self study) If I could change one thing about this school I'd make it so 1 instructor teaches all of CML.

Oh and I should say that wile the days sound light, I'm usually here for between 10-12 hrs/ day studying. I remember hearing the schedule and thinking I'd have spare time. You don't. You have just enough time to go to class, study, and do a few social things here and there to keep yourself human. (from what I can tell that's every PA school)

Do I feel like I have all of the resources I need? kinda. The school provides tutoring that I take advantage of. There are study areas and printing available. The Library resources are fantastic. But I feel like the administration could do a lot more to help us. There is a mentor/mentee with the 1st years and 2nd years, but my upper didn't really help me at all. I plan to gather a bunch of info from my class and make it available to next years to get them in a good place. 

This may sound predominantly on the negative side but I do want to say that I'm glad I'm here. The school is good, and it will get me to where I want to be. Also, It's one of the least expensive, so that's not a bad thing. In club we tend to use the phrase "you get what you pay for" This school isn't the best school with the best resources, but its nowhere near the worst school and for the price it's actually really good.

ok I hope that helps. Feel free to ask some more questions, but right now I gotta get back to studying for finals.

-J

So I spoke to the PA program administration, and the **Accreditation Probation is due to the CUNY administration not selecting a permanent Dean. Ms. Jackson is the current "Interim Assistant Dean" but the ARC-PA requires that  "There must be a qualified program director hired by the institution on a permanent basis, a qualified medical director and a more senior institutional official assigned to be responsible for the development of the program" and since CUNY hasn't selected a permanent dean the PA program is on probation. I don't know what the next step in the process is as far as ARC-PA is concerned but I'll see if I can speak to Ms. Jackson later today.

35 minutes ago, JoJoWondermonkey said:

So I spoke to the PA program administration, and the **Accreditation Probation is due to the CUNY administration not selecting a permanent Dean. Ms. Jackson is the current "Interim Assistant Dean" but the ARC-PA requires that  "There must be a qualified program director hired by the institution on a permanent basis, a qualified medical director and a more senior institutional official assigned to be responsible for the development of the program" and since CUNY hasn't selected a permanent dean the PA program is on probation. I don't know what the next step in the process is as far as ARC-PA is concerned but I'll see if I can speak to Ms. Jackson later today.

Thank you for looking into this. Please let us know what Ms. Jackson says. It is a little more settling to know that this is truly an administrative issue and not a program-wide issue.

1 hour ago, MrUSA said:

I called the ARC-PA and they stated that it was a accreditation probation and that stuck with me when they mentioned that. I am going to decline gong to this program because it is too risky. If the program is having this problem then imagine the teaching of students within the program.  In 2016 the PANCE passing rate was at 76% approximately, and now this probation puts the icing on the cake. Good luck guys if you choose this risk that can cost you your life career.

I can understand your concern, but I do think this is a little premature. The 2016 PANCE scores were definitely underwhelming but other programs have had similar slip ups (I believe there was a year where Cornell had their PANCE pass rates somewhere around 75%) and have been able to recover from it. Not to mention, PANCE pass rates at CCNY after 2016 have been well over 90%.

I emailed Ms. Jackson and she responded right away. The school is committed to having a permanent directer by Fall of 2018, so the probation period shouldn't be an issue. I also asked if the 2019, 2020, or 2021 classes would have trouble taking the PANCE and there won't be an issue. Even a program on probation is considered accredited so all three classes will be able to graduate, get a degree, and take the PANCE. 

I'm glad I checked the forum today. I admit that I was concerned but I'm glad it was something that was easy to clear up.

As a side note, one of the 2019 students, left a Florida PA program because he wasn't agreeing with the educational choices the administration there was making. The program ended up losing it's accreditation. BUT the students in his class who stayed were still able to take the PANCE because the NCCPA (the PANCE people) don't penalize the students for the school's issues.

Ms. Jackson told me that she'd let me know if there were any updates. If/When she does  I'll post on here about it.

3 minutes ago, JoJoWondermonkey said:
I emailed Ms. Jackson and she responded right away. The school is committed to having a permanent directer by Fall of 2018, so the probation period shouldn't be an issue. I also asked if the 2019, 2020, or 2021 classes would have trouble taking the PANCE and there won't be an issue. Even a program on probation is considered accredited so all three classes will be able to graduate, get a degree, and take the PANCE. 

I'm glad I checked the forum today. I admit that I was concerned but I'm glad it was something that was easy to clear up.

As a side note, one of the 2019 students, left a Florida PA program because he wasn't agreeing with the educational choices the administration there was making. The program ended up losing it's accreditation. BUT the students in his class who stayed were still able to take the PANCE because the NCCPA (the PANCE people) don't penalize the students for the school's issues.

Ms. Jackson told me that she'd let me know if there were any updates. If/When she does  I'll post on here about it.

Thanks again for looking into this, I was definitely worried about what a probationary period would mean for the school and the students, so this eases my fears quite a bit.

I also know that CCNY recently appointed a new president for the college, so it isn't shocking to hear that they've yet to appoint a permanent director for the PA program. Hopefully this is resolved soon.

22 hours ago, arinachka said:

I agree, it’s highly unlikely. This program has been around for a very long time. I will let you know if I hear back from them. :) 

I called the school to ask if they received my deposit and they confirmed that they did. If you want to call to check on yours, the number I used is 212-650-7745

7 minutes ago, kennsal said:

Hi,

Does anyone know a number that I could contact to get more information on application status? Or what email I should keep an eye out for in my inbox?

Thanks!

Once they send out acceptances all in one day, they then send out waitlisted decisions and rejections for the next step.  It is very rare for this school to use their waitlist, maybe like one or two people come off the waitlist.

1 hour ago, MrUSA said:

Once they send out acceptances all in one day, they then send out waitlisted decisions and rejections for the next step.  It is very rare for this school to use their waitlist, maybe like one or two people come off the waitlist.

So by this point, if you didn't get an acceptance email, then you were either rejected or waitlisted? :/ When is the deposit due anyway? I'm just curious. And which email are the decisions sent from?

6 minutes ago, Nuramuyassir said:

Is anyone who will be attending from out of state?

2 hours ago, slugo624 said:

So by this point, if you didn't get an acceptance email, then you were either rejected or waitlisted? :/ When is the deposit due anyway? I'm just curious. And which email are the decisions sent from?

They may be due by April 19th which are two weeks from the acceptance day. Sometimes it is a couple of days more than the two weeks, but this is an approximation.

13 hours ago, Jayceepa said:

Has anyone created a Facebook group for the class of 2021 yet? Also, is anyone planning on living at the Towers or will you guys be living off-campus/commuting?

I am coming from out of state so trying to find something affordable off campus. I looked at the towers and its a bit too expensive

1 hour ago, Nuramuyassir said:

I am coming from out of state so trying to find something affordable off campus. I looked at the towers and its a bit too expensive

I understand. I was looking to room as well, preferably close to the school, but even off-campus housing seems expensive. But it is still something that I am considering, particularly in a safe area. Were you looking to stay relatively close to campus as well?

5 minutes ago, Jayceepa said:

I understand. I was looking to room as well, preferably close to the school, but even off-campus housing seems expensive. But it is still something that I am considering, particularly in a safe area. Were you looking to stay relatively close to campus as well?

yes I would like to ideally live closer to campus or around the area at least so the commute won't be that far

41 minutes ago, smartypagirl said:

I'm from Brooklyn but I also want to cut down on the commute and move closer to campus. The Towers does look pretty expensive so I'm looking for more affordable options.

Yes, I live on Long Island and would like to move closer to campus as well.

Archived