• 2 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm a current student at the CUNY School Of Medicine (formerly Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education) PA Program. I wanted to reach out just to confirm that you won't hear almost anything from the program until April of 2018. They definitely don't even look at anything before the application period expires. So get comfortable and keep your spirits up!

Good luck everyone

Also for any prospective students that are interested in meeting current students, we have a PA club that meets once per week. PA club is at the City College Campus (160 Convent Ave) and meetings are held in the Harris Hall building (on Amsterdam btwn 138 and 139). Club is on Thursdays from 12:30 - 1:30 and are usually in room 12 on the ground floor. It's a great opportunity to speak to current students, to get a feel for the program, and to get some advice on the whole process. I came to club as a prospective student, and afterwards I knew CCNY was right for me.

-J

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, PA003 said:

Hi  JoJoWondermonkey, For the pre-reqs for the PAQ program, if the name of the class does not exactly match the name of the prereq but it was the same content taught will PA program still accept the class?

Usually the school will accept the course. For example I called another school's program to ask about the same thing. I was taking Psychology instead of their required "General Psychology." They said it was totally fine.

For most schools as long as the classes are the same it will count. Do make sure you check the number of credits required, as that can affect whether the class will count. 

If you have a more specific question, I'd try to find the schools course catalog to make sure the class description of the course that they require matches the description of the course that you're taking (or planning on taking)

If nothing else, most schools have a phone number you can call, like I did.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, pakiqt said:

Nicee! Is this your first time applying? Do you mind sharing your stats please?

This is actually my 2nd time applying, hopefully my last. My stats are average, overall GPA is a 3.5 and my science gpa was aroung 3.3 somthing I dont remember the exact number. Hope that helps.

Just now, Whitey said:

This is actually my 2nd time applying, hopefully my last. My stats are average, overall GPA is a 3.5 and my science gpa was aroung 3.3 somthing I dont remember the exact number. Hope that helps.

Did you get an interview the last time? And what healthcare/volunteer experience do you have? I feel like this program focuses more on that. What do you think?

9 minutes ago, pakiqt said:

Did you get an interview the last time? And what healthcare/volunteer experience do you have? I feel like this program focuses more on that. What do you think?

Yea last year I got an interview. Ive been doing healthcare for the past 6.5 years. I worked with individuals with mental and developmental disabilities at the time of my application last year but now I work in a Behavioral health hospital as a patient care tech. I also shadowed a variety of healthcare professionals, minimal volunteering though. And yes I agree with you this school does focus more on your heathcare/volunteer experiences.

12 hours ago, Whitey said:

Yea last year I got an interview. Ive been doing healthcare for the past 6.5 years. I worked with individuals with mental and developmental disabilities at the time of my application last year but now I work in a Behavioral health hospital as a patient care tech. I also shadowed a variety of healthcare professionals, minimal volunteering though. And yes I agree with you this school does focus more on your heathcare/volunteer experiences.

Congratulations on your interview invite! And thanks for sharing your stats

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews. I just want to reach out to let you know that we have an open PA club here at the CUNY School of Medicine PA program. I came last year a month or so before my interview and it really helped prepare me for what to expect the day of the interview. Not to mention just to get a feel for the school. You all are welcome any Thursday from 12:30 - 1:30pm in Harris Hall room 109. and of course you can PM any questions you may have in the meantime. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I saw some of the interviewees today at city college! I am a first year PA student and I just wanted to reach out and say that if you have any questions, feel free to ask! I know how it must feel during prior or post interviews , I am also part of club, so Thursdays are always open to ask questions from our experiences and backgrounds. As cheesy as it sounds, BE YOURSELF, I was very relaxed during my interview, and everything worked out well, again if you need suggestions, we are hear to help!

- Misha 

Archived