FLORIDA: Florida Gulf Coast University 2017-2018 Cycle

Hi folks,

Here are some facts, and I hope this quells any rumors or hearsay... 

• We are reviewing applications now, and do so continuously, scoring and ranking them according to our published criteria, as noted on the website. 
  • We plan on holding general interviews in February and possibly March. We may conduct a round of interviews for the highest ranking candidates in November.
  • Candidates are ranked based on published criteria (not just GPA)... From the Admissions section of the website:
    • Students receive higher points in the application process for the following: Higher science GPA, greater experience with direct patient care, community service involvement, leadership responsibilities, and understanding the role of a PA.
  • Every part of the application is considered, including recommendations and PA shadowing
  • We will seat a class of 20
  • Application period started in July and will end Jan 15, but applications must be VERIFIED by then...so we highly suggest they be completed at least 4 weeks prior, transcript requests submitted, and reference requests sent, so that CASPA can verify by the cut-off date. See CASPA site for definition on what "verified" means.
  • We are a faculty of 4 and we review ALL applications ourselves. This does not get farmed out to a non-PA staff member or team. We feel strongly about being the ones to screen and rank candidates, and select our cohort.
  • Due to the high volume of applications (well over a thousand, currently), we cannot provide 1 on 1 counseling
  • If you have submitted the application via CASPA, and it is "verified" it has been (or will be) reviewed. 
  • We have not yet made interview or admissions decisions

I know it is easy for me to say, but "hang in there." We are a small faculty and we pride ourselves in the personal attention we give to all aspects of the program. No application or candidate is ignored, but do realize that the admissions process is extremely and profoundly competitive. We are the smallest PA program (class size) in Florida, and near the 10th percentile nationwide.

Make sure you have completely filled out the application to the best of your ability, in order to make sure we are making a decision based upon everything that makes you, you. 

Please understand that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview or admission into the program. The inaugural class averaged GPAs of around 3.5 and patient contact hours > 3,500. We highly recommend that you thoroughly review our website, especially the FAQ https://www2.fgcu.edu/mariebcollege/HS/MPAS/faq.html which will answer most questions that candidates may have.

I know it is difficult to wait, without knowing, but rest assured that you are not being ignored.

I can try to address questions on here, but know that, in addition to reviewing applications, I also teach into the program, administer the clinical year, recruit rotation sites, and work as a clinical PA as well.

And, of course, since we have students in the program now, they are your best source for information about us and the program, thus far. Don't just take it from me.

I hope this helps some...

Nelson Guzman
Director of Clinical Education
FGCU Master of PA Studies

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 3:33 PM, ballerina said:

I applied back in Oct and have yet to hear anything. I apologize in advance if this was already addressed, but does anyone know how many seats are still available? Thanks !! Good luck to all !!!

I believe it was stated above that there were 20 seats available. It was also stated above that the bulk of the interviews will be in February and possibly March! I'm waiting with you - this is my first choice school @ballerina good luck to you this cycle!

I believe it was stated above that there were 20 seats available. One person has posted about getting an interview for November, so I assume there is/was an interview this month. But it was also stated above that the bulk of the interviews will be in February and possibly March! I'm waiting with you - this is my first choice school [mention=143832]ballerina[/mention] good luck to you this cycle!

Thank you for the info !!
Good luck to you as well !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who have interviewed and been wait-listed or accepted! I applied in July, application verified on 8/2, and called the school at the end of October to check on my application status; I was told that my application was still under review at that time. Has anyone received an interview offer recently? Thanks!

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who have interviewed and been wait-listed or accepted! I applied in July, application verified on 8/2, and called the school at the end of October to check on my application status; I was told that my application was still under review at that time. Has anyone received an interview offer recently? Thanks!

I haven’t received anything either. I wish you the best of luck !!

I called the school today and they told me that the admissions committee will start reviewing applications after the deadline has passed (which is January 15th) so this is a good reason why we have not been hearing much of anything for some time. Hope this helps to clear some confusion up for you. 

I called the school today and they told me that the admissions committee will start reviewing applications after the deadline has passed (which is January 15th) so this is a good reason why we have not been hearing much of anything for some time. Hope this helps to clear some confusion up for you. 

Thank you for the information !! I was going to call Monday.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

Regarding interviews:

We are doing final screenings of applications, to rank the top applicants for interview. We have nearly 2,000 total applications. Applications have been reviewed as they come in, but, as you can imagine, it is a large undertaking.

Admissions decisions will be done all at once. We have 20 slots and no offers have been made. Offers will be done after all applicants have been interviewed and ranked thereafter. Offers of admissions will be made, and interviewed applicants in excess of the seats offered will be ranked on an alternate list. In the event that there are seats still available despite this round of interviews, more candidates will be invited for interview.

Why interview and then offer admission, rather than having a "rolling" admissions process like other schools? With such a small class size (20), it may be unfair to have all the seats taken early in the process.

Interviews will be done on Fridays, with dates in February, March, and possibly April.

Those candidates who will be offered interviews should find out pretty soon. Remember, with a large applicant pool and a small class size, even getting an offer for interview is extremely competitive. See my post above for more insight.

Being a former PA student myself, I empathize with the stress that you might be experiencing, waiting to find out what's going on. Do note that it is our intention to be as fair as possible to the largest number of people as possible. Of course, if you really want to know what we are like, or what the program is like, your best be is to ask current students.

For those FAPA Pre-PA members, most of the class as well as myself will be attending the FAPA conference in Orlando next month. If you're attending, feel free to reach out to me and perhaps I can answer your questions during the conference.

We are excited to soon start selecting our second class, the Class of 2020! Why FGCU? A very small class size and an extremely passionate faculty...

See you soon...

Nelson Guzman
nguzman@fcgu.edu

Hi again,
Regarding interviews:
We are doing final screenings of applications, to rank the top applicants for interview. We have nearly 2,000 total applications. Applications have been reviewed as they come in, but, as you can imagine, it is a large undertaking.
Admissions decisions will be done all at once. We have 20 slots and no offers have been made. Offers will be done after all applicants have been interviewed and ranked thereafter. Offers of admissions will be made, and interviewed applicants in excess of the seats offered will be ranked on an alternate list. In the event that there are seats still available despite this round of interviews, more candidates will be invited for interview.
Why interview and then offer admission, rather than having a "rolling" admissions process like other schools? With such a small class size (20), it may be unfair to have all the seats taken early in the process.
Interviews will be done on Fridays, with dates in February, March, and possibly April.
Those candidates who will be offered interviews should find out pretty soon. Remember, with a large applicant pool and a small class size, even getting an offer for interview is extremely competitive. See my post above for more insight.
Being a former PA student myself, I empathize with the stress that you might be experiencing, waiting to find out what's going on. Do note that it is our intention to be as fair as possible to the largest number of people as possible. Of course, if you really want to know what we are like, or what the program is like, your best be is to ask current students.
For those FAPA Pre-PA members, most of the class as well as myself will be attending the FAPA conference in Orlando next month. If you're attending, feel free to reach out to me and perhaps I can answer your questions during the conference.
We are excited to soon start selecting our second class, the Class of 2020! Why FGCU? A very small class size and an extremely passionate faculty...
See you soon...
Nelson Guzman
nguzman@fcgu.edu

Thank you for the update !! It is appreciated.

2 hours ago, FGCUPADirClinEd said:

Hi again,

Regarding interviews:

See you soon...

Nelson Guzman
nguzman@fcgu.edu

Thank you so much for keeping us updated with what is going on! It is very much appreciated!

Have a blessed day

Ryan Curley

Hi there-- I applied back in September, did the supplemental shortly after, but on the My Eagle site, it is showing that they did not receive my GRE scores OR my transcripts from undergrad schools. I sent my GRE scores on 9/22/17, but did not individually send my transcripts, I don't remember there being a spot to do that on the supplemental app. Anyone remember if they individually sent them? I assumed that meant they had access to them on CASPA (where they should have been automatically sent to any school added to the application list). Any help is appreciated! 

Hi there-- I applied back in September, did the supplemental shortly after, but on the My Eagle site, it is showing that they did not receive my GRE scores OR my transcripts from undergrad schools. I sent my GRE scores on 9/22/17, but did not individually send my transcripts, I don't remember there being a spot to do that on the supplemental app. Anyone remember if they individually sent them? I assumed that meant they had access to them on CASPA (where they should have been automatically sent to any school added to the application list). Any help is appreciated! 

I didn’t send them directly. The original email I received stated PA applicants only had to complete the supplemental application and pay the supplemental fee.

Archived