Hi! I am a Junior this semester and am currently sitting at a 3.3 GPA overall and my science GPA is a 2.7. I realize this isn't great and when meeting with my academic adviser, she basically made me feel like with two C's on my science transcript that I was stupid and should give up. I have been having a hard time bringing myself up and believing I can do  it. PA school-wise, I have recently received my CNA and have shadowed ~40 hours and have 325 hours volunteering. I want to believe I have a chance, but am wondering if it is worth re-taking these courses and starting a year behind.

~Also, I have been considering taking courses through a local community college to save money, but my adviser told me it looks bad on applications if I am taking an upper level course at a community college rather the university. What are you opinions on this?

Thank you so much. 

If you are a junior you still have a chance to bring up your cGPA and sGPA a little. More to the point, you also have the possibility of obtaining excellent grades that you can point to when asked about your earlier grades. Is it possible? Yes. Is it going to happen? Up to you.

I was in a similar position 3 years ago. 2.9 GPA with a 2.8 science GPA. (I dropped out of school for a time after a bad year a while back). I tried to get all A's from that point forward (working full-time, classes part-time), but it just didn't happen, even though my grades did improve. I graduated in Dec with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and science GPA of 3.1. I have over 10,000 hours of quality healthcare/patient care experience, a stellar GRE (323 combined), great LoR's, and volunteering. It's not enough. I was fortunate enough to receive a few interviews in 2 years of applying, but I've been waitlisted and not accepted, and at this point the odds are against my getting in. One of the schools said they liked everything else about me as an applicant, but just couldn't justify accepting me over others with my 3.1 science GPA. 

I'm telling you this so you understand the gravity of your situation. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. And unless your improvement is more significant than mine, it won't happen. The few people I have heard of who have gotten in with a 3.1-3.2 had a 4.0 their last year that they could point to as evidence of recent improvement, and applied to schools that calculated a GPA for the most recent 60 credit hours.

I hope this post doesn't sound too pessimistic. I shot for a very high goal. There are only so many spots, and many competitive applicants. The world doesn't owe me anything. I don't hold a grudge. If I don't get in, I will pursue a career elsewhere in healthcare. You still have a chance, but you need to understand what you need to do to get in, how hard it is, and make your peace now for if it doesn't work out.

EDIT: I don't know close to graduating you are, but it might be worth it to change your major with the goal of becoming something that can give you better quality HCE, like a surgical tech or better yet a respiratory therapist. Don't think of it as slowing you down... think of it as a chance to extend the time period you have to improve your GPA, a way to get very high-quality hours, and something of a backup plan should you not get in. Rushing to graduate with a poor GPA isn't a good idea. The alternative, as explained by another school to me, is to attend a graduate program or at least take graduate-level science classes and do very well in them, and keep applying.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By lynn1862
      Hey guys! I'm 24 and have recently been accepted into a PA program, but I keep having second thoughts.
      My whole life I have been interested in medicine and health care. However, I am also a more quiet/introverted/awkward person and deal with social anxiety at times. For patient care hours this past year I became a phlebotomist. Although I loved learning about blood drawing and enjoyed the hands on aspect of it, the actual job itself was very draining for me. I worked at a very busy lab that saw over a 100 patients a day. Having to interact with so many patients left me feeling exhausted once I clocked out. I guess sometimes I wonder if I am making the right choice for myself career wise.
      I have shadowed many PAs and enjoyed those experiences, but I know shadowing and actually doing it are two different things. I also shadowed a Pathology Assistant, thinking that may be a better fit for me, but found it slightly repetitive and actually a little too isolating. 
      I was wondering if anyone else had similar worries once upon a time? If there are specialties more geared towards introvert/quiet people? Or ones that see a lower volume of patients? Or maybe this isn't the best path for me? 
    • By chandlerjonesuga
      Hey, I'm just rolling through to see if I can help expand your studying database.  Check out this post of various resources you can utilize to help you ACE the EOR exams, and eventually the PANCE!!!  I hope this helps... The final link is to my personal study guides, yes I know I do the most!
      https://randomjournalposts.blogspot.com/2020/02/how-to-study-in-pa-school.html
    • By chandlerjonesuga
      Hey, I'm just rolling through to see if I can help expand your studying database.  Check out this post of various resources you can utilize to help you ACE the EOR exams, and eventually the PANCE!!!  I hope this helps... The final link is to my personal study guides, yes I know I do the most!
      https://randomjournalposts.blogspot.com/2020/02/how-to-study-in-pa-school.html
    • By dazedandconfuzed
      Hello!
      I hope everyone is doing well and hearing some good news! I have a bit of a pickle and need genuine, kind, and thoughtful input as to how to choose a program. I have been accepted into two programs, but need to make a decision soon. I have talked to several PAs, family members, and mentors all of whom are insightful, but I still can't choose. I several pros and cons for both schools, but some similarities include that they're both 27 month programs, located out of state from where I currently live, theoretically the same tuition, and I genuinely liked the faculty I met at both places (people keep telling me to go with which one I felt better at but I truly don't know).
      Program A:  ~30 students, 94-100% PANCE pass rate (throughout the last 3 recorded years); is a top 110 PA school per U.S. News, is not a part of a medical school curriculum, however has been graduating PAs for the last ~20 years. I would be an hour flight away from my parents, but have friends a two hour drive away from campus. Travel expenses would be less for this school as rotations are within the metropolitan/surrounding rural areas. Slight con: I've already had to put down the deposit. 
      Program B: ~20 students, 97-98% PANCE pass rate (throughout the last 2 years - there are different campus locations), is a top 15 PA school per U.S. News, is associated with a medical school, however the location I have been offered acceptance to is separate from the main campus. This location is brand new and barely built up, however a lot can change in the next few months and I always wanted to go to this university and be a part of this program. I would be further from my parents, but also have extended family and friends an hour flight away. Travel expenses would likely be greater for this school as there is only one community hospital nearby, however may present more career related opportunities in the future due to large university network.
      Any insight as to how to go about choosing a school or any sincere and helpful comments are much appreciated. I am grateful to even be accepted to one program to begin with, but I feel a huge weight having to make this decision. Thank you all and enjoy your evening!
    • By rachnk
      Hi all!
      I just received an email that I was being extended an interview that was about 3 weeks out from the current date.
      I responded around 4 hours after I received the email to accept the interview, but I received an email a couple hours later that they were going to have to reschedule and that “they would email me when another date opens up”. 
      Has this happened to anyone else??
      Should I be worried? Or do they send out more interview invites than spots that they have open for the day because they know that some people may decline? 
      Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More