Nontraditional BG, improved GPA, what schools to apply to?

Hey Everyone,

Here's a brief look at my stats

• Education overview

- I have a bachelor's degree in music (jazz studies) (GPA was 2.78, and had a few Fs and Ds)

- I did my PA school prerequisites after my undergrad as an independent study, non-degree (GPA 3.86)

- I then got a Master's degree in Biomedical Science (GPA 3.77)

• Here are the stats that show up on my application:

- Overall GPA: 3.21

- BCP GPA: 3.86

- Last 100 credits: 3.83

- GRE:

* Verbal: 155 (68%)

* Quant: 152 (47%)

* Writing: 4.0 (59%)

- HCE: 7,100+ hours as an ICU tech, progressive care/tele CNA, surgical/trauma CNA, internal medicine MA

- Volunteer hours: 72hrs (48 in healthcare)

- LOR's from: PA, MD, PhD (professor), hospital floor manager (RN), ICU charge nurse (RN)

Where do you think I should apply with a nontradional (music) background and improved GPA?

Also, I am currently waitlisted at Pace University for the class of 2019, but still need to get my apps out for another round in-case I don't get in, and will be re-applying to Pace.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Upvote 1

You should be able to apply broadly, I think. Your good grades in your masters program should win the day.

Write a really good essay; you should have a great story to tell. Don't dwell on the undergrad grades too much in the essay, but tell your story. A reviewer might just want to invite you in to meet you in the flesh.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for you help!  It makes me feel good getting some positive feedback like that.  I'm just a little frustrated after not getting in last year, when I applied to 7 schools (pending my waitlist), but I do know of some issues with last year's application which might have held me back.  Either way, I'm pushing through and sending out another round of apps.

Thanks for your support!

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jason1910
      I am about to be a junior this Fall and my GPA is currently 2.6. I was in college thinking a lot about my major and I was undecided with what I wanted to do but I recently decided that I was interested in PA school and becoming a physical assistant My current major is in Accounting and I am interested in knowing if I have a chance. I know that I have to take the prerequisites and to possibly change majors. did not get to take any pre requisite classes yet and I don't have any volunteer hours because I was thinking about this career just recently. I also have about 5 W grades so I had to withdraw from 5 classes due to some personal issues and mistakes. If I calculated the highest GPA that I can get by graduation, it will be around 3.3. Is it possible for me to get accepted anywhere? What should I do to stand out?? I had to withdraw from Calculus 1 twice due to bad professors but I am thinking about trying to pass all of the prerequisites and to succeed. I am mostly scared about the W grades, which will hinder me a lot in applying to anywhere. Is it a chance to get in or am I just wasting my time?
    • By savpeaches
      Hi everyone! This is my first post so be forgiving if I don't have proper forum etiquette lol. So I am extremely nervous to apply this cycle, 2021-2022, because I feel as though my application is not going to be that strong. Here's what I have (keep in mind that I am a junior in college, so I have some more classes to take):
      cGPA: 3.27
      sGPA: right now I have a 3.1, but after this semester I am thinking that it will be around a 3.3
      HCEs: over 2,000 as a CNA
      I haven't asked for LORs yet, but I am sure that those I ask will highly recommend me (crossing my fingers!).
      I don't have as many volunteer hours as I would like, around 50, but I am currently working on them. 
      I am also involved on campus as an Orientation Leader, I am the President of Nature Club, the treasurer of a History club, and I am also apart of many other clubs, I am just not holding any positions in them. I don't know if this is relevant or not but I also take juijistu classes off campus. 
      I did have some mishaps happen throughout college, I earned a C- in human A&P, and I had to retake biochemistry. I'm not sure if I should retake human A&P to raise my grade and GPA or let it go. I am going to apply this cycle to programs that do not have a minimum letter grade, but I am honestly so worried that these schools won't even look at my application because of my GPA and my A&P grade. 
      Any and all recommendations are welcome, thank you!
    • By futurepa1998
      Do I have a chance?
      I’m struggling to decide if I should apply for this cycle or not due to my gpa and PCE. I graduated last august with a bachelors in biology. I’m 23 btw. 
      Cumulative Gpa before post bacc credits-2.98
      Sci GPA-2.65
      Cumulative gpa after post bacc-3.17 (32 credits)
      Sci gpa after-3.10
      Post bacc cgpa- 3.98 sgpa- 4.00
      PCE hours as a CNA~1500
      Medical assistant~ 400
      HCE as a Pathology Tech~ 1360
      LOR- one from MD that I worked with, one from a PA I shadowed, and one from a former boss
      Shadowing~150 hours 
      Leadership Hours~80 hours 
      Volunteer~150 hours
      Taking the GRE this month 
      My GPA was low in my undergrad bc of going through personal circumstances and recently learning that I have ADHD. After finding out my diagnosis I completely changed how I studied and I had an upward trend my senior year and during this post bacc.
    • By toyosizai
      Hi, 

Just signed up for this forum. 

I am currently a senior in my undergrad, I finish in the Summer 2021. My current cumulative gpa is 3.09 which is very low and for my science courses these are the grades I have made: 
      General Chem 1 & 2: B
      Biology 1 : B
      Biology 2: C 
      Orgo 1: C 
      Orgo 2: F(first time), C (2nd time)  
      Physics 1 & 2: A
      Genetics: B-
      Microbiology: D, I am going to retake. 

I am taking Biochemistry 1 this spring 2021 and other upper-division biology courses where I hope to make As in. 

I would like advice on what I should do to increase my gpa.  Should I enroll in a post-bacc program while getting PCE (through volunteering/shadowing or getting a job at an urgent care or hospital) or should retake the classes I received a C or below in, then start prepping to take the GRE and going through the application process. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you. 

• By mummygirl40
      Hello all, 
      I graduated back in 2014 w/ a B.S. in microbiology, during which I did not complete A&P I/II or psychology. I've done my research on my top schools and am aware that there is a time limit on the other prerequisites I have. Being that so many of my prerequisites will expire and/or have expired, what are some suggestions on what I should do? My main concern is the financial aspect of this endeavor, as I'd like to keep cost to a minimum. Most schools won't offer financial aid to non-degree seeking students, unless enrolled in a degree program. Taking classes at the community college sounds great, but my top program requires 6 credits of upper division biology credits to be taken at the university. Anyways, I'm hoping that an out of school for a long time / missing a few prerequisites / aspiring PA can be of help. Thanks! 🙂

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More