Unhappy and unsure about current job

I wanted to ask your advice on my current situation.  I used to work in Family Medicine for three years and loved it.  The doctors and other providers I worked with were great, everyone treated each other with respect.  My current job, where I have been for 7 months now, is different.  I had to leave my last job to relocate with my husband's new job.  I took a job in women's health, thinking it would be my dream job (I did a lot of women's health in FM).  Many times my schedule is dead, with hardly any patients.  In the down time, I have filled in as a triage.  I basically call in prescriptions, answer questions patient's might have on the phone, and go through faxed labs.  I feel like I am wasting my career.  I have tried talking with the supervising physician but nothing has changed.  I seriously don't understand why I am doing office work and getting payed to be a PA and wasting my knowledge.  I feel like most of the other people I work with are snotty and do not respect me as a provider.  There is a lot of drama and the people I work with constantly are arguing or talking about one another.  I want to leave, but have only been here 7 months.  I feel like maybe I should give it more time or should I move on? 

I am so disappointed in this job, I was really hoping it would be something I would love! And I do enjoy working with the patients, but I hardly get to.  I don't understand why the physician hired a PA.   The manager will not do a thing.  She is part of the problem with the office, gossiping with all of the other co workers.  I don't feel like I fit in well there, and do not feel like a lot of the people I work with like me.  I feel like the patients like me and we have developed a rapport.  Most of the other staff have been working in this field for years.  One actually took it upon herself to order labs on a patient and disregard what I ordered.  I don't want to step on their toes, I do respect their knowledge and experience.  But at the same time, I deserve some respect as I worked my butt off and have experience as well!   

Team move on immediately.  Bait and switch working conditions set into a poisonous atmosphere.  Prior experience so very little downside.  Just be diplomatically honest in interviews.  But yeah - screw these clowns, get your boogie shoes dusted off. 

You got to like someone who wants to work to their potential by the way.

If the only issue was a slow schedule then I would say give it more time and see if your schedule builds. But if you've been there 7 months and haven't seen much improvement in that arena, plus a toxic work environment, why stick around? If your schedule was full and you were busy with patients would you be happy there? Probably happier relative to now but still stuck in a toxic work environment. Life is short!

I took a job that was a complete bait and switch. Red flags popping up the first hour I was there. Totally toxic environment and everything I was told about the job was a lie. I left after 6 weeks and I have no regrets. Currently working in my dream job. If your job is a nightmare look elsewhere.

I took a job that was a complete bait and switch. Red flags popping up the first hour I was there. Totally toxic environment and everything I was told about the job was a lie. I left after 6 weeks and I have no regrets. Currently working in my dream job. If your job is a nightmare look elsewhere.

This sounds juicy, please give more details

Hours? This does sound juicy...

This sounds juicy, please give more details

Okay, to satisfy some curious minds: 

1. Was told I'd be managing LVAD and ECMO patients. In fact was simply doing dressing changes (yes, changing dressings!), writing down LVAD parameters, and working as a scribe in the OP clinic. Didn't write a single order while I was there. 

2. As I had not post OP or ECMO training I was told I would be trained on how to manage these patients - this was when I was still being told I'd be managing patients. One of my co-workers sat me down after work and told me flat out she was not interested in training me and that I better start reading the ECMO and LVAD manuals and train myself. When I was told to go see one of the patients on ECMO I reminded her that I had no training on EMCO she said "just copy forward the note from yesterday". 

3. I was told the schedule was 3 x 12 and when I started it was 5 x 10 then transitioned to 4 x 11 and told there would no longer be a 3 x 12 schedule. 

4. Was told the team dynamics were great and that everyone got along. Couldn't have been further from the truth. Badmouthing and backstabbing was the norm - honestly, I think there were two cancers on the team that others fed off of. 

Ugghh, I get the shakes just thinking about my brief period in Hell. Thank goodness I now have a job that I love.  

Sounds like you need to find a new job.  I got bait and switched on a couple things (i.e. vacation time, them paying for my phone, got suckered into answering phone calls and calling in prescriptions, etc) with my surgical job and I know it's no fun and frustrating.  At least you have a couple years of experience somewhere else and probably don't need a letter of recommendation from your current job.  Have a new job lined up then submit your notice. 

Thanks guys.  It is so frustrating that they promised to help teach me the new skills (IUIs, fluid ultrasounds, endometrial biopsies) and the funny part is I actually have them down, have done them in front of supervising doc a few times.  In fact, I think I perform the IUIs better then him! And yet "Im still not ready".  Unbelievable.. sometimes I think its about control.  So he sends me emails about who needs what rx filled and when to come back for semen analysis.  I call the patient and get them scheduled and then call in their prescriptions  under the doc.  Seriously??? Why should I waste my time doing this crap when i could be doing what I actually went to school for, to be a medical provider, see patients, treat them.  The good things are that they pay well and I have a nice large office.  I wish the others there were nicer but they are not.  Most of them are very grumpy and I cannot stand it.  Its upsetting the amount of disrespect I get at this office as a PA-C from the doctor, nurses, and MAs.  Not all of them are like this, some are very nice.  I honestly think that half of them have no idea what a PA is.  

When I interviewed for my current position I was asked about an abbreviated stay at a position I hated. I gave them an honest answer in polite terms...I wasn't a good fit for what the organization required of me and we agreed to part company on friendly terms...good people doing good stuff just not the right place for me.

Being miserable at work and dreading it when your feet hit the floor in the morning is a life drag. Move on.

Archived