FLORIDA: Florida International University Cycle 2017-2018

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone! 

I will be interviewing 3/21! I am very excited. Did anyone who interviewed already get any information about how many seats are currently taken and how many are available? Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back and to everyone who has upcoming interviews!  

49 minutes ago, LOLAPrePA said:

Hi for those that got in would you care to share your GPA/ shadowing & patient contact hours/GRE scores/entrance exam scores?

Hi! My GRE isn't the best, but I'll be happy to tell you my stats:

GPA: 3.39

PC/Shadowing:

1. Alongside a physician in OB/GYN: 700 hrs (roughly)
  2. Alongside a PA in internal medicine 150 hrs (roughly)
  3. Emergency Room at hospital: 100 hrs
  4. CNA: got hired in January so I didn't get to rack up those hours as much as I would have liked.

GRE: 153/153/4.5

Entrance exam: 100%

2 hours ago, LOLAPrePA said:

Hi for those that got in would you care to share your GPA/ shadowing & patient contact hours/GRE scores/entrance exam scores?

Sure!

Gpa: 3.52 

Shadowing: 

- Surgical PA (20 hours)

- Pathologist (30 hours) 

Healthcare experience:

- Volunteering at Ped’s hospital (350 hours)

PCE: 

- Chief Scribe in ED of hospital (1200 hours)

GRE: 

149/156/4.5

Entrance exam: 80%

Thank you so much for the reply.. I was really sad to see I didn't get an acceptance

I had a science GPA of 3.6

Cum GPA of 3.43

Over 1,500 hours of shadowing/patient contact

90% on the entrance exam

GRE wasn't great though (146 on quant/150 on verbal/4.5 on writing)... I am assuming thats what did it

30 minutes ago, LOLAPrePA said:

Thank you so much for the reply.. I was really sad to see I didn't get an acceptance

I had a science GPA of 3.6

Cum GPA of 3.43

Over 1,500 hours of shadowing/patient contact

90% on the entrance exam

GRE wasn't great though (146 on quant/150 on verbal/4.5 on writing)... I am assuming thats what did it

With PA school we never know what they are looking for! My GRE was close to yours- verbal (145), quant (153), writing (4.5). 

My CASPA science GPA was a 3.21; however my last 60 credit hours GPA was a lot higher than that, and Chantal did explain that they focus on that!  

However, I had over 2000 hours of patient care (medical assistant in a private practice and a free clinic), over 100 hours of shadowing, and over 2000 hours of volunteering in various groups/ organizations! I would definitely recommend volunteering in your community as much as possible, I know FIU is huge on that. You are definitely on the right path and your stats are competitive! Remember they had 1500+ applicants for only 45 seats! Did you get LOR from health care professionals? 

Hi @ NicoleCL

My LORS included a PA, a nurse and my boss (who was previously my Dean of Students in high school)

The LOR that came from the PA was, I'm assuming because I never got to read it, insightful to my work performance because I did serve as her medical assistant for the past year. The nurse's letter was also very representative of my work ethnic and knowledge. I worked alongside the nurse as an elderly companion.

I am truly sad and shocked because I really felt that I was a strong competitor. 

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts/stats

56 minutes ago, PAMGR said:

What were the two different answers you received? I am unfortunately on the waitlist and am eagerly waiting further information about this. 

I heard that updates on the waitlist can be made anytime from the minute the list is made till mid- April

mid April is when deposits are due so the only way to get off the waitlist at that point would be that idk the applicant has a last minute change of heart

Archived