2017-2018 Wayne State Application Thread

3 hours ago, OaklandU Needs PA Program said:

Did they explain to you on why you got rejected?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I spoke with a counselor at the Eugene Applebaum School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.  The only thing she indicated was that my volunteer hours were improperly documented, and that I missed points on my application by failing to apply to MAPA, AAPA, and campus pre-PA club.  I've since remedied all of those (minus pre-PA club, since I'm not a current student).  I also worked on my personal statement, retook statistics, and took a medical ethics course.  I have a strong hunch that my personal statement last year was very weak, and that may have been a big reason why I didn't get an interview, as my GPA, GRE, and health care hours are all well above average (3.98 post-bacc, 318 total with a 5.0 writing, 3500+ hours as a PT aide).  

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spoke with a counselor at the Eugene Applebaum School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.  The only thing she indicated was that my volunteer hours were improperly documented, and that I missed points on my application by failing to apply to MAPA, AAPA, and campus pre-PA club.  I've since remedied all of those (minus pre-PA club, since I'm not a current student).  I also worked on my personal statement, retook statistics, and took a medical ethics course.  I have a strong hunch that my personal statement last year was very weak, and that may have been a big reason why I didn't get an interview, as my GPA, GRE, and health care hours are all well above average (3.98 post-bacc, 318 total with a 5.0 writing, 3500+ hours as a PT aide).  
Thank you for your response. Yeah, I'm under the impression that they really look for applicants to have involvement with both the PA world as well as in your community.

Congrats!! I'm waiting and it's killing me... Hope to hear from them soon. Those of you who are getting interviews, do you mind sharing your stats? - Thanks ahead!

cGPA: 3.7

sGPA: 3.6

pGPA: 3.8

GRE: verbal:154 quant:158 analytical:4

PCE (at time of application): 900

HCE: 250

Volunteer/community service: 100

1 hour ago, GotoPAschool said:

Congrats!! I'm waiting and it's killing me... Hope to hear from them soon. Those of you who are getting interviews, do you mind sharing your stats? - Thanks ahead!

Overall science-3.8

post bac- 4.0

overall- 3.8

GRE-295 

39 shadowing hours

72 volunteer hours in the last 2 years, 350 overall

4,000+ Patient care hours as a Dental hygienist 

I think emails are sent one by one, so there may be more coming as the day goes on. 

Looking at last year's thread, though, it looks like everyone who didn't get notified with the first batch ended up rejected about 3 days later.

It would help clarify the situation if those receiving emails could post the receipt times.

Interviewing on the 20th!! Stats at the time of application:

sGPA: 3.28, cGPA: 3.30 (very strong upward trends! 4.0 post-bacc)

PCE hours: 2250

HCE hours:720

Volunteer hours: 90

GRE: 314, 159V 155Q

I'm assuming they'd send out another wave of invitations after they get their responses from the first round; replacing the people who decline and such. What I remember from their info session is that they invite the top 100 people to interview and 50 get accepted. Keep the faith!!

I'm not holding out much hope to hear back from Wayne tomorrow. My last name is near the beginning of the alphabet and it seems like the majority of interview emails were sent out in the early part of today. Congrats to those that got the interviews. I'll post if I hear anything tomorrow.

5 hours ago, OaklandU Needs PA Program said:

31 minutes ago, John76 said:

I'm not holding out much hope to hear back from Wayne tomorrow. My last name is near the beginning of the alphabet and it seems like the majority of interview emails were sent out in the early part of today. Congrats to those that got the interviews. I'll post if I hear anything tomorrow.

I’m in a similar place. From the thread last year it seems like some people heard from them on 2 days.. unless people just posted the following day :(... im so bummed 

21 hours ago, GotoPAschool said:

Overall GPA:  3.77

Pre-requisite GPA:  3.97 

Last 60 credit hours GPA:  3.98

Overall science GPA:  3.92

Last 60 credit hours science GPA:  3.97

GRE:  162 Verbal, 156 Quantitative, 5.0 Writing

Patient Care Hours:  Approximately 5,000 as a physical therapy technician in an outpatient orthopedic PT clinic

Additional:  50 hours volunteer work over past year, member of AAPA, member of MAPA

Archived