2017-2018 Wayne State Application Thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
On 10/7/2017 at 10:18 AM, itzsommyjr said:

I had relatively similar stats (318 GRE with a 5.0 in writing, 3.98 last 60 credits GPA, 3.97 prerequisite GPA, 3500+ PCE hours) and was rejected last year.  Wayne is very particular during their application process and actually awards points based on whether or not you are a member of AAPA, MAPA, pre-PA club, and for your community service (for which they only offer points up to 50 hours in the past two year).  I also highly suspect that my personal statement was a big reason why I didn't get an interview last year, as I had treated it like a formality and it didn't have much substance.

Over the past year, the only things different on my application numbers-wise were retake statistics (which I only retook because it was over 10 years old -- I had an A- the first time, brought it up to an A), and I accumulated more PCE hours at my job.  That's it.  Other than that, I joined AAPA, MAPA, and made sure my volunteer hours were properly documented this time (they were apparently improperly documented last time).  Oh, and I definitely completely overhauled my personal statement.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!  Don't give up!

How did you improperly document your hours? Did you put them in the wrong section?

On 12/21/2017 at 1:31 PM, Potatolife said:

How did you improperly document your hours? Did you put them in the wrong section?

They wanted the specific dates of service documented. My letter of confirmation only said that I had completed 50 hours of community service at that particular institution without specifying the dates of service. Lesson learned. 

1 hour ago, itzsommyjr said:

They wanted the specific dates of service documented. My letter of confirmation only said that I had completed 50 hours of community service at that particular institution without specifying the dates of service. Lesson learned. 

You have to update letters of confirmation? I didn't look as CASPA yet, but I will soon. I hope you get in!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2018 at 9:13 PM, aePA said:

I am applying to WSU next cycle. Do you guys mind elaborating on how patient care hours should be documented? Are you talking about CASPA or WSU Grad app?

Thanks.

There is a section in both CASPA as well as the supplemental app if I remember correctly.  The main things you need to remember are:

1) Your letter confirming your volunteer hours must be on official letterhead and signed by someone who directly observed your work.

2) You must document (at the very least) a date range for your volunteer hours (though specific days and times are probably better).  This is what I had failed to do during the previous cycle.  I had the people who wrote my letter for the previous cycle update it with a date range for the times of service.

3) You must have an hour total (up to 50; you don't get credit for more than 50 hours, although I'm sure it looks good).

4) I believe they want a short description of what type of work you did, what kind of worker you were, etc.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2018 at 6:50 PM, itzsommyjr said:

There is a section in both CASPA as well as the supplemental app if I remember correctly.  The main things you need to remember are:

1) Your letter confirming your volunteer hours must be on official letterhead and signed by someone who directly observed your work.

2) You must document (at the very least) a date range for your volunteer hours (though specific days and times are probably better).  This is what I had failed to do during the previous cycle.  I had the people who wrote my letter for the previous cycle update it with a date range for the times of service.

3) You must have an hour total (up to 50; you don't get credit for more than 50 hours, although I'm sure it looks good).

4) I believe they want a short description of what type of work you did, what kind of worker you were, etc.  

In regards to confirming community service hours, how specific do the letters have to be? I have been involved in student organizations at my undergrad institution since I was a freshmen and I was wondering if I had to list all the dates of service that I have volunteered at or just say that I have been volunteering for this org since (this day) until present time and dedicated (this many hours) and participated in (Ex: bake sales, 5k runs, tournaments, etc)? I had already stated in CASPA that I had started volunteering for organizations in 2015, however, WSU only accepts dates of service from September 2016-September 2018. Do i have to alter my hours and letters confirming my service to fit WSU's time frame? Thank you. 

On 8/14/2018 at 1:13 AM, Diane said:

In regards to confirming community service hours, how specific do the letters have to be? I have been involved in student organizations at my undergrad institution since I was a freshmen and I was wondering if I had to list all the dates of service that I have volunteered at or just say that I have been volunteering for this org since (this day) until present time and dedicated (this many hours) and participated in (Ex: bake sales, 5k runs, tournaments, etc)? I had already stated in CASPA that I had started volunteering for organizations in 2015, however, WSU only accepts dates of service from September 2016-September 2018. Do i have to alter my hours and letters confirming my service to fit WSU's time frame? Thank you. 

I'm sure just a date range will be fine -- that's what I had them write in my letter of recommendation when I reapplied ("...has volunteered over for over 50 hours from May 2016-July 2016 / duties included landscaping, gardening, etc.")

• 3 months later...

Archived