2017-2018 Wayne State Application Thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, given that there were no invites given today, I am guessing they will have a limited second wave of invites based on whoever declines their invitations.

Hope my other interview goes well. I may have to give up on WSU, I have a 320 GRE, 14000 hours of high-level PCE, a 3.9 GPA with last-60 waiver, and a 3.9 prerequisite GPA. Can't really do anything to improve those numbers. I don't really see how I don't even get an interview but maybe there is a weakness in my application I didn't spot.

Good luck to all who got their invites!

On 10/4/2017 at 5:15 PM, laferri2 said:

Yeah, given that there were no invites given today, I am guessing they will have a limited second wave of invites based on whoever declines their invitations.

Hope my other interview goes well. I may have to give up on WSU, I have a 320 GRE, 14000 hours of high-level PCE, a 3.9 GPA with last-60 waiver, and a 3.9 prerequisite GPA. Can't really do anything to improve those numbers. I don't really see how I don't even get an interview but maybe there is a weakness in my application I didn't spot.

That's so weird..it sounds like you have perfect stats! You gotta be missing a requirement to be rejected...you can call them and ask them what was the reason for the rejection...

On 10/4/2017 at 5:15 PM, laferri2 said:

I had relatively similar stats (318 GRE with a 5.0 in writing, 3.98 last 60 credits GPA, 3.97 prerequisite GPA, 3500+ PCE hours) and was rejected last year.  Wayne is very particular during their application process and actually awards points based on whether or not you are a member of AAPA, MAPA, pre-PA club, and for your community service (for which they only offer points up to 50 hours in the past two year).  I also highly suspect that my personal statement was a big reason why I didn't get an interview last year, as I had treated it like a formality and it didn't have much substance.

Over the past year, the only things different on my application numbers-wise were retake statistics (which I only retook because it was over 10 years old -- I had an A- the first time, brought it up to an A), and I accumulated more PCE hours at my job.  That's it.  Other than that, I joined AAPA, MAPA, and made sure my volunteer hours were properly documented this time (they were apparently improperly documented last time).  Oh, and I definitely completely overhauled my personal statement.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!  Don't give up!

10 hours ago, emhpa said:

That's so weird..it sounds like you have perfect stats! You gotta be missing a requirement to be rejected...you can call them and ask them what was the reason for the rejection...

They won't discuss particulars regarding rejections until January.  I had to wait during the last application cycle.  

On 10/10/2017 at 3:09 PM, KindnessMatters said:

It is with a community PA and PA faculty member.

So, is it just one interview with both the community PA and the PA faculty member sitting in on the same interview, or is it two individual interviews?  How long is the actual interview itself?  I imagine that the writing prompt takes up a considerable amount of time, and I also have to imagine that there is a tour of the facilities and introduction to the program, etc.  

3 hours ago, itzsommyjr said:

So, is it just one interview with both the community PA and the PA faculty member sitting in on the same interview, or is it two individual interviews?  How long is the actual interview itself?  I imagine that the writing prompt takes up a considerable amount of time, and I also have to imagine that there is a tour of the facilities and introduction to the program, etc.  

From what I am aware of it's both of them together in the same room! Good luck this week! You all will kill it!!

i had interview last year and received a rejection email. The writing is about 30 min. 2 rounds of interviews (one round w/ faculty member, other round w/ community pa). They separate applicants into groups, so the order depends on which group you are in. There's no tour of the facilities, but had about 30-40min of introduction of the program and had time to ask questions to the current students. The writing prompts are different for the thursday's and friday's interview. I also heard that the writing part is to see if you can just write. 

Good luck everyone! I really wish to get in this year. 

On 10/15/2017 at 8:03 PM, wannabePA11 said:

i had interview last year and received a rejection email. The writing is about 30 min. 2 rounds of interviews (one round w/ faculty member, other round w/ community pa). They separate applicants into groups, so the order depends on which group you are in. There's no tour of the facilities, but had about 30-40min of introduction of the program and had time to ask questions to the current students. The writing prompts are different for the thursday's and friday's interview. I also heard that the writing part is to see if you can just write. 

Good luck everyone! I really wish to get in this year. 

Do you remember which questions they asked you last year? Any curveballs? Why do you think you were rejected?

is the writing prompt typed or written by hand?

Good luck everyone!

I wish I still remember the questions they asked me. I don't remember the specific questions, but they asked standard questions.  Why pa? why wayne state? etc. Since I'm one of the older applicants, they asked me why I wanted to change the career.  I think they asked me about 5 questions. 

You need to write an essay by hand. 

I was very nervous during the interview. I was sweating, and was not able to say the words I prepared for. I knew that I would get rejected. 

I know it's hard for some people, but be confident!  Good luck everyone!

Archived