Rural/Travel EM question

I'm looking into a few jobs for after residency is over. Mostly rural jobs with 24-72 hr shifts. To those of you who work such jobs, particularly if you travel some distance to work, how do you handle insurance? Most places offer the usual benefits within their system, but what if you live 4-6 hours outside of that hospital network? Just pay out of network fees? Negotiate this into the contract? I'm just asking to see if any of you have been in this situation and have some insight??

I think there is too much variability to get the answer you are looking for, but here are some things to think about.

1. Many of these are 1099 positions, so no benefits.

2. Most rural places I know of don't require you to use their "system", because their "system" is a single little hospital without much specialty care at all.

3. I do long rural shifts, but I'm retired military so my health insurance is portable.

Good luck!

E- Sorry for the confusion. I was asking about health insurance. In regards to malpractice, I'm not working somewhere that doesn't cover malpractice. Places that don't cover malpractice likely have other greater issues as well.

Boat- Thanks for the info. I've found most are 1099, but some are employee with health benefits. The lack of specialty coverage in many of these hospitals and their affiliates is one of my initial concerns and spawned my question here. As I suspected, I'll just have to navigate the issue as it comes up with individual jobs. 

Lots of looking, research and talking to folks. As many have said, look at places few people want to live such as OK, KS, IA, MN etc. You may have to take a 24 hr gig and turn it into a 48-72 hr gig with time. You can find the 24 hr gigs pretty easily.

Archived