EMR Compatibility with iPad

Hi everyone!

I will be starting PA school in the fall and our program requires us to buy an iPad (at minimum). I'm debating between the iPad and the iPad Pro but I want to be able to use this after I graduate and start working as well. So I was wondering if anyone has used one of these in the hospital and seen whether EMR (Epic etc) is compatible with an iPad? Can you see the full screen including imaging and lab results or is it only mobile compatibility? I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Hi everyone!

I will be starting PA school in the fall and our program requires us to buy an iPad (at minimum). I'm debating between the iPad and the iPad Pro but I want to be able to use this after I graduate and start working as well. So I was wondering if anyone has used one of these in the hospital and seen whether EMR (Epic etc) is compatible with an iPad? Can you see the full screen including imaging and lab results or is it only mobile compatibility? I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

I could be 300% incorrect about this (as I don't use an iPad), but I was under the impression using Epic on an iPad required using the app "Epic Canto". And that will only work if your organization has licensed Canto and is on a version of Epic that is from 2012 or more recent. 

The app says you can see clinic schedules, hospital patient lists, health summaries, test results, and notes. However, your administration determines which feature sets are available through the app (and if it is going to cost you anything to use it). 

I've really only seen Epic used on PC tablets (that's what we were required to buy). But I'm not sure about other EMR softwares. 

Archived