2017-2018 Application Cycle

On 12/3/2017 at 2:17 PM, megan123 said:

I hope you all had a great time for those at the December interview!  Would you all mind sharing your impressions of the program?  How quickly do you all anticipate hearing back?  Many thanks!

Stanford Medicine has a LOT of money, and it is very apparent with the program. The facilities are impeccable and resources are near limitless. While the website and program descriptions really emphasized becoming leaders, the one thing that surprised me was how Stanford encourages specializing and specializing - in contrast to many programs that push more general primary care. In retrospect, given how academic Stanford medical school is, this should have been expected. Some of the faculty we were introduced to are involved in the most subspecial of subspecialties, for lack of a better description. If you have a niche interest in medicine, I guarantee there will be a PA or MD or PhD at Stanford that they will put you into contact with. They additionally spent a lot of time discussing the scholarly concentrations, which I think is important since this is a clear distinguishing factor from other programs. The concentrations do require taking a certain number of extra classes on top of the core PA curriculum, which can include classes from the law school etc based on your scholarly concentration. The core classes are heavily integrated with the medical school - they really become your peers, and I think that is smart as these future doctors will have a better understanding of the rigors of PA education and therefore respect for the PAs they will one day work with.
Also, I love food. The dinner was delicious. I also really appreciated that the students sent faculty out for the Q&A so that everyone could be more candid and genuine about what they like and dislike. Obviously, kinks are still being worked out, but overall the students seemed very pleased with their decision to attend the program and the opportunities afforded to them.

Just based on my previous couple of interviews, I expected the individual interview to be far more intense, but I felt my panel interview was quite casual. Standard questions that you should expect to answer at any interview, and then questions based on your application. I personally wished the whole thing could have been compacted into one day, but I am no stranger to the Stanford campus and surrounding area so I felt no need to take a tour / explore further.

It also seems like they really want to hire their own graduates to stay at Stanford, so if you like Palo Alto/the bay area and want to stay there after schooling, I can understand this would be a huge plus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, curitibaPA said:

Any advice/suggestions on the interview? Just have no idea what to expect, but seems to have been more casual than some expected? 

Right, for my own experience I expected it to be a little more intense but it wasn't too bad.  The informational day was a little long but it was very interesting and I got to talk to a lot of current students.  My questions were answered by students before the informational presentation even started.  The next day, my actual interview was shorter than I expected.  It was about 20-25 minutes long.  I was asked pretty standard questions.

@MaiCO At the interview session they had a presentation about tuition and financial aid. They mentioned that there are the typical scholarships (merit-based), grants (need-based), and loans. They said they will notify people if they have received a scholarship when they send the acceptance letter. But also not to expect too much from scholarships as the pool of money they have from that right now is not as big as they'd like. 

On 12/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, MaiCO said:

Does anyone know about their financial aid resources? The tuition and living expense is really worrying me. 

There is graduate student housing available, which sounded a bit more reasonable for rent compared to the Bay Area in general, but based on a lottery system.

19 hours ago, ms12345 said:

I haven't heard an acceptance or rejection yet. I'm guessing they are going to wait for all interviews to be done to send out all the final decisions. Does anyone know if the last interviews will be in January or February?

This upcoming Friday and Saturday will be our final interview session.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived