2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I am a current student with the Stanford MSPA program. I just wanted to pop in real quick since I know you guys probably have a lot of questions. For those who have received an interview invite, congrats! As you've no doubt seen, the interview will be over 2 days. The first day will be more informational, and will end with a dinner where you get to meet us students and can ask us more questions then! Then the second day will be your actual interview. If you have interview-specific questions, I would probably hold off until you see us on Friday.

I also saw that some of you are talking about the significant tuition increase from the PCAP program to the current MSPA program. This is not due to any belief that our program is "more worthy". The PCAP program was through Foothill Community College, so tuition was set by them. The MSPA program is through Stanford School of Medicine, so we pay graduate student tuition. I know it's very expensive, but please don't let that be the deciding factor! As you'll hopefully get a feel for at the interview, being a part of Stanford School of Medicine has significant benefits.

Excited to meet you all at your interview! Good luck!

On 10/28/2017 at 11:25 AM, ahe said:

Hi everyone!

I am a current student with the Stanford MSPA program. I just wanted to pop in real quick since I know you guys probably have a lot of questions. For those who have received an interview invite, congrats! As you've no doubt seen, the interview will be over 2 days. The first day will be more informational, and will end with a dinner where you get to meet us students and can ask us more questions then! Then the second day will be your actual interview. If you have interview-specific questions, I would probably hold off until you see us on Friday.

I also saw that some of you are talking about the significant tuition increase from the PCAP program to the current MSPA program. This is not due to any belief that our program is "more worthy". The PCAP program was through Foothill Community College, so tuition was set by them. The MSPA program is through Stanford School of Medicine, so we pay graduate student tuition. I know it's very expensive, but please don't let that be the deciding factor! As you'll hopefully get a feel for at the interview, being a part of Stanford School of Medicine has significant benefits.

What kind of benefits are there being a part of Stanford School of Medicine?  

On 10/30/2017 at 10:22 PM, Aivlys89 said:

What kind of benefits are there being a part of Stanford School of Medicine?  

Hi! We're planning on putting student testimonials on our website so you can hear from most of us on what we think about the program but it won't be ready for a little bit longer and I didn't want to leave you hanging. So here's some of my thoughts:

Being a part of Stanford School of Medicine is probably my favorite part of going to Stanford. There are SO many resources available through the medical school. There's interest groups for almost every main specialty, and they put on events that you can attend to meet people who work in the field (potential shadowing opportunities), to ask question, to learn more, etc. You have opportunities to take amazing elective classes (many surgical skills classes  that are super cool), there are lunch seminars pretty much every day of the week for different specialty topics where speakers come and talk to you about what they do and cool cases they work on. There's even free yoga classes and weekly (free) happy hours. Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but hopefully that gives you an idea! If you have any specific questions let me know, but as I mentioned before there's also an opportunity for those of you with interviews to ask students questions when you come!

On 10/28/2017 at 8:25 AM, ahe said:

Hi everyone!

Do you know how people usually dress for the first day? Do people wear suits for the first day or just dress business/professionally without a suit? I have only one suit and want to utilize it for the actual interview. Thanks!

On 11/17/2017 at 11:32 AM, fmw808 said:

Do you know how people usually dress for the first day? Do people wear suits for the first day or just dress business/professionally without a suit? I have only one suit and want to utilize it for the actual interview. Thanks!

I think on my interview invite last year they told us to dress business professional both days. I would do it just to be safe, you can't be over-dressed but you definitely can be under-dressed. I just wore a different shirt under my blazer for each day. If anything you can just take your suit jacket off inside!

On 11/22/2017 at 7:10 PM, ahe said:

I think on my interview invite last year they told us to dress business professional both days. I would do it just to be safe, you can't be over-dressed but you definitely can be under-dressed. I just wore a different shirt under my blazer for each day. If anything you can just take your suit jacket off inside!

Thanks for the info! I'll take your advice and wear my suit with a different shirt underneath for both days. 

I loved the program!  The facilities were beautiful and they seemed to emphasize all the resources available to the students.  The students were great answering all of our questions during the informal meet and greet and during the dinner.  The next day, I was lucky enough to get my interview out of the way in the morning and I spent some of my afternoon exploring the campus.  The interview was pretty intense intense to me because I was a little intimated by who was in the room but they asked questions I was pretty much prepared for.

The latest email stated all applicants will be notified of their status by mid-February.  Fred told us we may hear back as early as 1-2 weeks.

Archived