Good interview questions: What did you ask?

Hi,

I have two interviews this week, one with a private urgent care clinic and one with a hospitalist general IM program at a teaching hospital. I am looking for some good interview questions I may not have thought of yet. Here's what I have so far.

1. New position or taking over an old position

2. Shift model

3. Call time and holiday/OT pay

4. Average # of patients per day

5. What does the patient population look like

6. How many providers work per shift

7. Support team

8. PTO, CME, benefits, malpractice coverage

9. Lab services

10. EMR system

11. Orientation time

Am I missing anything? Let me know your questions and any advice you may have!

I have always asked the interviewer to tell me if there was anything about how I interview that they felt needed work. Every time it results in a surprised look and then they verbally tell me everything I did right. They remember the interview because it's a question they rarely get, they reinforce in their head positive qualities about me, and they see that I am looking to improve how I work... all in one question. No proof that it works, but if nothing else I get the opinion of a person who does a lot of interviewing on how to polish my presentation. YMMV

If I'm trying to get a feel for the place, I ask, "of the people hired for this position who succeeded, what were their traits?", and vice versa, "of the people hired for this position who did not do well, what were their traits?". That usually gives me a sense of what their looking for, and whether or not I might be a good fit.

Archived