What are my chances for PA school (BS & MPH)?

Hi all, 

I am 26 years old, interested in applying to PA school next April. I would like advice from current PAs, other PA school applicants, and current PA school students regarding my chances in getting accepted. 

Education

MPH in Epidemiology (cumulative GPA 3.77) 

BS in Biology (cumulative GPA 3.64) 

Certifications

Certified in Public Health (CPH) 

Work Experience:

Current Research Coordinator in Oncology/Genetics field (full-time, 2+ years) 

Research Assistant in Oncology/Genetics field (full-time for 6 months) 

Scribe in Primary Care office (1.8 years, ~2600 hours) 

Scribe in Emergency Dept. & Ophthalmology clinic (1.25 years, ~2500 hours) 

Volunteer Experience

Two medical/dental mission trips to Honduras (2 weeks, ~100 hours) 

Hospital volunteer in Emergency Dept. & Pediatric unit (1 year, ~500 hours) 

Research Experience

1 peer-reviewed publication, second author 

1 oral presentation, first author 

I plan to take A&P I/II over the next year at a community college (since I did not take this in undergrad) and will be retaking my GRE (old scores were 152 verbal, 153 quantitative, & 3.5 writing). I am considering becoming certified as a Phlebotomist or CNA and work part-time (along with my research coordinator job) to up my HCE experience - would this improve my chances?

Thanks in advance!! 

Guest HanSolo

I'd say with high grades in your pre-reqs and a good GRE score you are looking pretty solid. You could get a more hands on experience if you wanted, but if that comes at a significant pay cut from your current job I wouldn't say its a must have. Just target places that take scribing. You're solid on stats so far. 

I'd say with high grades in your pre-reqs and a good GRE score you are looking pretty solid. You could get a more hands on experience if you wanted, but if that comes at a significant pay cut from your current job I wouldn't say its a must have. Just target places that take scribing. You're solid on stats so far. 

Thank you for your feedback! I was concerned my experience was too research based and that I need more hands on experience, but if I focus on schools that accept scribing I suppose I could be ok. Also, you are right that if I seek more hands on experience that would ultimately lead to a pay cut (which would lead to more student loans). I suppose I will focus on acing A&P I/II and the GRE, and perhaps add some additional PA shadowing hours over the next year. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. 

I see no shadowing of PAs. Other than that, you should be in good shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When working in the Emergency Dept. I worked directly with PAs within the "fast track" portion of the ER. Other than that, you are correct in that I lack PA shadowing - how many hours would you recommend?

When working in the Emergency Dept. I worked directly with PAs within the "fast track" portion of the ER. Other than that, you are correct in that I lack PA shadowing - how many hours would you recommend?

I only did about 50 hours of shadowing and got accepted to PA school....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would recommend another 40 hrs or so, including time in at least one other setting. The goal is to appreciate life as a PA from a PA's perspective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived